Internet > Web Browsing & Email

Encrypted email- casual one-off usage?

(1/3) > >>

Weaver:
Background: On the iPad, I tried to get S/MIME going and failed because it seems to be a nightmare getting the required slithy toves into the wabe in Apple Mail. When you order a digital cert from the provider I used - trying to remember who it was, one of the larger outfits iirc - they assume that you have a PC or Mac and you are supposed to gyre and gimble in a web browser on that desktop machine, get hold of something and then email it to yourself following which the iPad picks up that email and extracts a borogove out of it and then the digital cert is installed and you should be good for S/MIME. Tell you what, I haven’t got a PC, so let iOS Safari and Apple Mail on the iPad just download the borogove and that’s the end of it, cutting out the need for all the other nonsense. But they just couldn’t give a stuff about a user like me so I got absolutely nowhere but did get a refund. Thanks Apple.

PGP in iOS seems a nightmare because of horrible PGP iOS apps that you have to deal with given that Apple won’t do the work to write the code to get support going in Apple Mail itself.

I would indeed like to be able to use PGP, but without a lot of grief. One answer, as I may have said before, would be a mail server that understands PGP and which sits as a relay on your own LAN or inside your own machine and which speaks IMAP/POP/SMTP anyway decodes and forwards on PGP emails to Apple Mail plus a similar arrangement in the reverse direction.

* My question: is there a way of sending an encrypted email as a one-off, casual usage if you like, without a lot of hassle, if I can’t manage to use PGP?

(The problems with using PGP being the horrible app situation and integration usability problems in iOS on the iPad.)

johnson:
Have you considered making a new account with ProtonMail?

Weaver:
That’s a great tip. Looking at their website now, serious people.

johnson:
Yup.

Those with an abundance of tin foil ready for hat crafting might say that proton is too high value a target to not have been compromised, but people scared of the kind of powers that could should be passing around 1 time pads in person and setting fire to their computers at regular intervals.

For me it just means not letting google or facebook read your emails. Or even your own government... feel like everyone has forgotten about the "Investigatory Powers Act":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investigatory_Powers_Act_2016

Weaver:
I used to use a very small company in Somerset as my mail service provider. Used them for 18 years or so and had real people to talk to and one contact. They were bought up by someone else, whom I didn’t know and so didn’t trust, so I jumped ship quickly, and ended up moving my email to AA. I have to trust them practically speaking as they’re my ISP, and it’s difficult to arrange for things to be such that you do not need to trust them anyway. So I was extremely happy to trust AA with my email etc especially given their publicised attitude regarding privacy and human rights.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version