Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: GNE and SNE  (Read 1667 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
GNE and SNE
« on: April 24, 2019, 04:28:30 PM »

Yesterday evening I was reading an Adva document which described the back-to-back connection of two FSP 150CCf-825 devices via a "Layer 2 cloud" and how to establish a management tunnel between them both. Without any definition the two three letter abbreviations, GNE & SNE, were used to refer to the local device (to which the management work-station was connected) and the remote device, respectively.

A couple of years ago, I asked for the definition of a "SNEID" number, in a Beattie Bellman context, and one of our eminent "escapees", from the "Empire of Newgate Street", promptly enlightened me by stating "Sub-Network Element IDentification" number.

Dismissing any thoughts of "Green Noxious Effluent" and "Small Negative Exponent", I wonder if the "NE" could also be "Network Element" in the Adva case. As for the "G" and "S" . . . Gateway?, Subsidiary?, Subservient?, Secondary?

So, to those well versed in all things Juniper, Cisco or Adva, any comments, please?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: GNE and SNE
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 04:50:19 PM »

Gateway Network Element
Subtending Network Element

I found this in here: https://www.infinera.com/wp-content/uploads/infinera-ds-consultative-managed-services.pdf (I searched for network gne sne)
  Eric

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 04:59:43 PM »

Yes, Network Elements are managed by a communications network which is a mixture of dedicated comms links and embedded comms channels within the kit. All network elements will have a unique SNEid but those that are connected directly to the comms network will be GNEs, the remote end of the link would be managed by the embedded comms channel.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 06:51:10 PM »

Gateway Network Element
Subtending Network Element

I found this in here: https://www.infinera.com/wp-content/uploads/infinera-ds-consultative-managed-services.pdf (I searched for network gne sne)

Thank you for finding that reference. My Google-foo must have been lacking, yesterday evening.

Yes, Network Elements are managed by a communications network which is a mixture of dedicated comms links and embedded comms channels within the kit. All network elements will have a unique SNEid but those that are connected directly to the comms network will be GNEs, the remote end of the link would be managed by the embedded comms channel.

Ah, I see. Thank you for enhancing my knowledge.

I should come here and ask questions more frequently.  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything