Kitz ADSL Broadband Information
adsl spacer  
Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum
 
     
   Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary
 
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: BT "Deadlock"  (Read 5840 times)

dee.jay

  • Reg Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 463
Re: BT "Deadlock"
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2019, 12:53:15 PM »

Rural West Wales is where I live (south Ceredigion).

Which mobile provider do you get those speeds with?

I currently have a Three unlimited data SIM in my Huawei B525 router, but unfortunately currently can only connect to LTE Band 20 (800MHz), which gives me slower speeds (anything from 3Mbps to 20Mbps downstream, and 1Mbps to 12Mbps upstream, in my location - I'd say that 60% of the time my downstream is between 10 & 20Mbps, the other 40% it's between 4 & 10Mbps, still far better than my 1.5 to 2Mbps ADSL [with 0.7Mbps upstream]!).

Experimenting with an external antenna (currently have an omni-directional Poynting XPOL-A0001, but plan to get a directional antenna [Poynting or Yagi or similar] in due course too) may yield better results, especially if I can connect to LTE Band 3 (1800MHz) on Three.

Alternatively, the new unlimited data Vodafone SIM plans sound interesting - and may have better coverage & speeds in my area, so I'll try that out (with a PAYG SIM first).

EE have quite good coverage here, but unfortunately no unlimited data plans (yet - competition from Three and now Vodafone *may* change that in future, especially as 5G starts to roll out [although EE are far more expensive for 4G as a fixed line replacement than the other 2] - although I suspect it won't get to my area for many years...). Interesting times ahead for 4G / 5G mobile links as an alternative to slow copper-based fixed lined broadband, especially for those of us still waiting with sub 10Mbps (& in my case, sub-2Mbps) lines...!

I have EE. They now have unlimited plans too, which tempted me, 30 a month I believe.
Logged
Sky + AAISP FTTC ~ 130/34 combined @ 3dB HG612's
Routed by pfSense on VMware ESX 6.7 on Ryzen 3 3200

aesmith

  • Reg Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 988
Re: BT "Deadlock"
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2019, 08:22:37 AM »

No progress on the underlying issue, and no real answer from BT regarding removal of the joint markers.  Response something along the lines of assuring that their engineer "wouldn't" take any action that would hinder future fault finding.   But of course "wouldn't" isn't the same as confirming "didn't" so all that really tells us is that the engineer made these changes off his own bat without recording the fact or the reasoning.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]