Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 no internet (connecting to USG)  (Read 1455 times)

llyamah

• Just arrived
HG612 no internet (connecting to USG)
« on: April 22, 2019, 04:22:20 PM »

Hello all

I have just successfully (I think) unlocked an HG612 router.

The DSL light comes on when I plug my internet cable in to it, though I am not sure if the internet is 'working' through it.

I now want to use it to implement a basic Ubiquiti set up (USG, switch and two access points), but I am having problems configuring my USG (it doesn't seem to be connected to the internet when I connect it all up, and isn't updating the firmware).

I have asked for help in the Ubiquiti forum (see https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Newbie-stuck-USG-set-up-and-upgrade/m-p/2757735#M143781).

One of the comments I have is that the broblem may be with the modem:

You need to get internet access through the modem before going any further with the Unifi equipment.

You need to check and see if your computer is getting DHCP from the modem or not.

If you are getting DHCP, can you access the modem?

My question is - how do I actaually go about troubleshooting this?

Also, can people here help me get the USG configured, or is this not the right forum?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: HG612 no internet (connecting to USG)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 05:34:39 PM »

Just checking . . . You have connected the HG612 LAN1 port (not the LAN2 port) to the USG?

To confirm that the HG612 is operating correctly you would need to temporarily connect a computer to the LAN1 port and configure the computer to act as a PPPoE end-point. Internet access should then be possible.

As for configuring a USG, we have a few members who are familiar with Ubiquiti hardware and should be able to give you some advice.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

llyamah

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 06:11:44 PM »

Just checking . . . You have connected the HG612 LAN1 port (not the LAN2 port) to the USG?

To confirm that the HG612 is operating correctly you would need to temporarily connect a computer to the LAN1 port and configure the computer to act as a PPPoE end-point. Internet access should then be possible.

As for configuring a USG, we have a few members who are familiar with Ubiquiti hardware and should be able to give you some advice.

Hi there. Once again, thanks so much for responding to me. I think I have it fixed (for now) I just had to go in to the USG and change the connection to PPPOE. I am still having troubles but Ubiquiti themselves are helping me via chat.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 09:07:10 PM »

Ah, so it was configuring the USG to provide the PPPoE end-point that was the missing step.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything