Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BBQ today  (Read 1734 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
BBQ today
« on: April 20, 2019, 11:42:21 PM »

I like this story. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47996418

BBC are reporting on the nice weather, reporting with sinister overtones, that it may break records for Easter temperatures.   Is it evidence of David Attenburgh’s latest dire forecasts?  Well, maybe.

But they go on to cite other Easters that have been hot, including 2011 and 1949.  And by a remarkable coincidence, both have been late in April.   Towards the end of the story they do seem to concede the point, that this easter is mild, mainly because it is late.  But the paragraph in which they do so, even includes a spelling error.   

This year, Easter falls on the latest date since 2011, meanng that warm weather is far more likely that those years when Easter is marked in March. It won't be this late again until 2030.

Any spell checker would have spotted “meanng”, so I wonder, was that last paragraph an afterthought?   Will it even still read the same, tomorrow?  And cynically might it just possibly be the case that BBC expect supporters of “Science by Celebrity” to have a disinclination for detail, in their rush to join the protests?  ::)

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
Re: BBQ today
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 11:27:55 AM »

"Meaning" is now correct, but "that" is still there instead of "than".
meaning that warm weather is far more likely that those years when Easter is marked in March.
As you say - an afterthought.
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 01:04:52 PM »

I hadn’t noticed “that”.  But yes , “meanng” had been fixed between my post just before midnight, and my breakfast cup of tea, around 9am-ish.

Maybe Kitz should be flattered, do the BBC monitor these forum pages for valued advice and feedback? :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 10:12:36 AM »

haha I doubt it :D
But at least they did add in the fact that Easter fell much later this year be it an after thought or not  ::) 
I've seen other reports elsewhere which didn't mention it at all, and the first thought that did cross my mind is that I'm quite sure that Easter being at the end of April compared to some years when it's in March has a heck of a lot to do with it.  :D

I'm just happy that the warmer weather is on the way :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 10:18:19 AM »

Talking of climate change.  Did anyone see the photos of Hyde park yesterday after climate change activists were done with their weekend of protests.    What a mess left behind by people who are supposed to care about the environment.  :mad:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 04:41:20 PM »

I didn’t see the mess.   Was it reported on the Beeb? That, and an occasional Saturday Guardian, are the only news I look at these days and both seem to be seeing things through rose tinted spectacles, a little biased in favour of these protests.

It does seem to me that these days, climate change is no longer treated as a science, it has become a religion.   The yobs wreaking havoc in London are their Crusaders, wanting to uphold the faith, even if harm is caused.    They have started to appoint their bishops and other clergy who, it seems can be lay people, often celebrities, or children.   And anyone who seeks to review the evidence of the “God character” (read global warming and zero carbon) is branded a “disbeliever”, to be publicly flogged and ostracised from society.

Most worrying of all, I see that schoolchildren are now taking part in what they think is the scientific debate.   At their tender years it seems a little unlikely that they genuinely understand the highly complicated evidence, data and models, so are they somehow undergoing a kind of religious-like indoctrination by school teachers and parents?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 12:42:01 AM »

No.   More the smaller media outlets or local, but from what I could see it appeared to be genuine as opposed to fake.   Apparently it wasn't just at Hyde Park.  They abandoned tents/placards/banners/leaflets/plastic bottles/ all of which could be recycled... along with just general rubbish. :(
The BBC just seemed to concentrate on the factual stuff about why and where they were protesting..  and what reports I did see by them appeared to be pretty neutral. 

>> Most worrying of all,

I think some are jumping in on the bandwagon.  Some groups will always be seen as a bit extremist as some of their demands are considered impossible.   Re kids..  makes good viewing on SM :(   

-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 01:07:57 AM »

What 7lm said perfectly. A cult and moral panic. (Like the object oriented cult, and Chomsky.)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 08:30:43 AM »

The truth about the mess at Hyde Park (read the edit):

Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 10:17:28 AM »

If they are protesting about the environment they really should know better and take their litter home and recycle as appropriate, not rely on someone else to clear the mess up, not even if it's an environmental group who clears it up, what kind of message does it really send when they leave a mess like that?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 10:34:13 AM »

If we have a day out in a park, or a day at the beach, we'd gather up our rubbish and take it home.   And if people nearby had left the odd lemonade bottle lying next to "our spot" we'd most probably give them benefit of the doubt that it was accidental, and take that too.  Wouldn't most people?

Trouble is, imo,  it all lends weight to the arguments for banning plastic & disposable packaging.   So everybody gets penalised by the inconvenience of the bans, while it's only a tiny minority that are causing a serious problem. :(

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 10:45:02 AM »

This is the trouble with people interpreting the news with their prejudices - not reading the facts!

The mess was left by the 420 rally.
Saturday, 20 April 2019

Description 420, 4:20, or 4/20 is slang in cannabis culture for the consumption of cannabis, especially smoking cannabis around the time 4:20 p.m. and also refers to cannabis-oriented celebrations that take place annually on April 20. Wikipedia

It was cleared up by the Extinction Rebellion supporters!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 01:22:19 PM »

I hadn't read the news stories, just gone by what Kitz had said in thread. I'd also have no idea what 420 was slang for, and wondered why the mention of cannabis,  I stand corrected.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 01:48:20 PM »

420 sounds like a dodgy venture.    :o

I do hope the police were able to ensure it was all law-abiding and peaceful.    Oh wait... weren’t the police already stretched to breaking point, trying to control the climate change yobs and clearing piles of debris, which even included a large boat, from the streets elsewhere?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 10:36:08 AM »

Thanks jelv.  Was a few days ago when I first saw it and obviously before the mention that Extinction Rebellion had helped clear up the mess in Hyde Park.
That image was one of the ones I saw, along with one which also showed abandoned tents and another which showed abandoned signs and placards.
-----