Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows update freezing some machines  (Read 6145 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 06:16:34 PM by burakkucat »
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Windows update freezing some machines
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 01:19:10 PM »

I wonder if microsoft are starting to regret this style of constantly updating windows 10. It must be costing them a lot of be constantly working on a product then taking PR hits everytime there are bugs, especially ones like this that completely freezes the machine.

I think people who aren't tech savvy would be completely stumped by this latest bug.

I think there is becoming a business case to move away from windows as its becoming unable.

They need to give an option to let people only update security features. I'm still on version 1803 because windows update never offered me the next version update. I suspect its because I haven't updated my nvideo graphics driver yet. But If windows is stopping the update because of that then why doesnt it tell the user why its held up the update? I had a similar issue on the last major update and it turned out to be a game launcher that when i manually updated it, windows suddenly offered me the next big version update. But its like why doesn't it tell the user which program is stopping it? It identifies the program itself to tell it to stop, so why not tell the user?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 03:43:07 PM »

I have never used windows 10, but I never ever had a WinNT family o/s crash on one of my own boxes. I found the operating systems extremely reliable, but I had very strict restrictions on my systems.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 06:39:33 AM »

Bowdon there is an option but microsoft bizarrely think its only suitable for enterprise users and that is Windows 10 LTSB.

Apparently tho you can get it legally as a consumer by buying a bulk amount of cheap software from microsoft's website which then qualifies you as a volume license customer, you sign the agreement, and then should be able to get a copy of LTSB windows 10 from a reseller, and activate with your volume license ID.

Otherwise its using Windows 10 pro/education/enterprise and then setting updates to delay feature updates for the maximum time which I think is 180 days, also set to semi annual channel.  You will tho still eventually have an build update forced down your throat but it will be delayed by half a year at least.

Windows 10 LTSB is supported for 10 years on security updates, and has no new feature build updates.  The license is only valid for that build so is downsides as well, if you want to update to a newer LTSB build it has to be done manually and with a new license.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 10:23:25 AM »

Did a quick check on my version (pro) updates can be deferred up to 365 days.
But if you turn on the "I'm using a metered connection" will prevent any updates except the most important security one's.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

anything