Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Broadband FTTC - Failback / Redundancy  (Read 2119 times)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
Broadband FTTC - Failback / Redundancy
« on: April 18, 2019, 01:32:40 PM »

Hi,

Was jut trying to get some feedback from users regarding broadband failback / redundancy.

I currently have a TP-Link W9970 (using as modem / router only, no wifi). This device has the ability to use a usb 3G/4G dongle as failback.

Does anyone on this forum use this router with 3G/4G failback enabled?

What I wanted to find out was when the broadband / fibre connection goes down whether the switch to 3G/4G was seamless? and also when the broadband connection reconnects does the 3G/4G dongle again seamlessly disconnect? If you see what I mean.

Was considering going down that route with Smarty on contract as they seem to refund for unused data, which would be cost effective.

Many thanks for any info provided

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 01:35:24 PM by risk_reversal »

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: Broadband FTTC - Failback / Redundancy
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 11:19:54 AM »

Failover should be transparent in terms of not needing any action to initiate.  I'm making the assumption that the TP-Link works the same as any other router with 4G failover in that you configure the interfaces in order of preference, and it will not use the 4G if your primary PPP connection is up and logged in.    It will fail over to a different IP address, so sessions may well not be maintained at the end user level.

In any case if you choose to sign up to Smarty, using this "refer a friend" link from my account will give both of us a free month, I get a free month if you sign up and use the service for 14 days, you get your second month free.   https://referme.to/n4lcdso

(I used a similar link in the first instance, so paid for the first month and will get the second one free)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 02:01:37 PM »

I use a similar system of 3G / 4G backup but using a Firebrick router. I have a Huawei USB 3G NIC in the router and the mobile data service I use is that from Andrews & Arnold which has very low standing charge and you pay for traffic by the byte. I find it ideal for this.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 08:13:16 PM »

Many thanks for your replies.

I'm making the assumption that the TP-Link works the same as any other router with 4G failover in that you configure the interfaces in order of preference, and it will not use the 4G if your primary PPP connection is up and logged in. 

I presume so as on P.9 of the TP Link manual it says:

3G/4G Router Mode can be set as a backup  Internet access method.  If you do not want to configure 3G/4G settings now, just click Next to continue.

It will fail over to a different IP address, so sessions may well not be maintained at the end user level.

For clarity a WAN IP address as supplied by the mobile network. My gateway IP address will remain the same?

In any case if you choose to sign up to Smarty, using this "refer a friend" link from my account will give both of us a free month, I get a free month if you sign up and use the service for 14 days, you get your second month free.   https://referme.to/n4lcdso

(I used a similar link in the first instance, so paid for the first month and will get the second one free)

Thanks. With Smarty looks like it will effectively cost me £5 a month as I was going sign up to the £15 / 8Gb plan.

I use a similar system of 3G / 4G backup but using a Firebrick router. I have a Huawei USB 3G NIC in the router and the mobile data service I use is that from Andrews & Arnold which has very low standing charge and you pay for traffic by the byte. I find it ideal for this.

Had a look on their site. Is this the one? If yes, looks like it costs £20 per Gb used, is that correct?

https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/data-sims/

I have a couple of mobile dongles, ZTE MF112 and a Huawei E367 that I was figuring on using as I believe it can handle 4G (?).

Cheers
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 08:20:07 PM by risk_reversal »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 02:41:53 AM »

That’s the one. Horrendously expensive if you’re going to do any serious amount of traffic, but good for backup just-in-case for me.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 09:07:19 AM »

For clarity a WAN IP address as supplied by the mobile network. My gateway IP address will remain the same?

That's correct, the path from your internal devices to the TP-Link router remains the same, but on fail over the router will pass your traffic to the 4G network instead of DSL, which means that on the Internet your traffic will be seen to originate from a different external IP address.

Unless you're an Andrews and Arnold customer and using their 4G service, as I think they can route your existing IP address over the backup.

To test your hardware and configuration, you can get a Three SIM with a free 200meg data allowance.  That will also check coverage at your location, but the 200meg will only cover one or maybe two speed tests.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 11:19:06 AM »

That's correct, the path from your internal devices to the TP-Link router remains the same, but on fail over the router will pass your traffic to the 4G network instead of DSL, which means that on the Internet your traffic will be seen to originate from a different external IP address.

Cheers

Unless you're an Andrews and Arnold customer and using their 4G service, as I think they can route your existing IP address over the backup.

Not an AAISP customer.

To test your hardware and configuration, you can get a Three SIM with a free 200meg data allowance.  That will also check coverage at your location, but the 200meg will only cover one or maybe two speed tests.

Will need to ascertain the best mobile provider and check masts in my area and then test it with a PAYG data card to see how failback works in real world tests with my router.

I am hoping that 3 gives good results then I can sign up to Smarty.

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:22:00 AM by risk_reversal »