Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is WBC SoGEA now available?  (Read 1289 times)

sheepfarmer

Is WBC SoGEA now available?
« on: April 23, 2019, 10:51:19 PM »

I'm doing a bit of searching for my brother who's getting married next year and where he and his fiancee are looking at buying a property in his home village (Fintona, County Tyrone - Exchange Code: NIFIN) or not far from it. I was using BT's DSL Checker website to check for potential broadband speeds - I didn't expect there to be many problems at one of the properties they're looking at is almost literally next door to the local exchange, and the nearest cabinet is only marginally further away. What caught my eye though was that the result for this address indicated that a WBC SoGEA product could be ordered from there, on Cabinet 1.

I did a double check to see if both my line (Cabinet 3) or my parents (Cabinet 4) also on the same exchange using both the phone number and address checkers also flagged SoGEA availability, but returned a blank result. I'm assuming that the answer for the time being is "no".

Strictly speaking Openreach doesn't look after the network in Northern Ireland, rather it is an arm of BT's Irish/Northern Irish division that does AFAIK (the vans certainly don't carry Openreach branding). So have they done a soft launch of WBC SoGEA on the quiet, or is this cabinet a testing area, or is it a mistake in BT's checker?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:21:04 AM by sheepfarmer »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Is WBC SoGEA now available?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 12:44:03 AM »

Its being showing as available for over a year on my non NI exchange on the checker, so I'm afraid that doesn't mean anything :)

However, the last update I saw suggested it should launch soon: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/02/update-on-openreach-g-fast-fod-sogea-and-fttp-broadband-changes.html