Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL - Put in a connection for my mother, and (surprise, surprise) it's borked  (Read 1867 times)

boozy

• Reg Member

Well, I decided to put in a connection for my mother so that she could enter the 20th century.  With my usual luck it turns out not to work well - up and down like a yoyo.  It's been in since October and this is my first visit, although she uses it for skype about once a month.  TalkTalk help line have been interesting - as the line wasn't giving the guaranteed minimum the tech guy (read that as sales rep) tried to get me to upgrade to VDSL.  I'm now 4 days in to help and they've sent a new router.  A further call has resulted in a Bright Spark visit tomorrow, but the tech guy was quite good.  Better still, the replacement modem/router was an HG635 so with a bit of fiddling it's now giving out stats (dslstats doesn't work well as it's v1.13 and supports more than dslstats allows for). I've done a bit of messing in C# and got myself an HLog Graph, which shows a rather nice 36m tap.

So the question is - is Bright Spark an apt description or an attempt at humour from TT?  Is tomorrow going to be a bit frustrating, as it's my birthday and I have a hangover scheduled for most of the day :).

siofjofj

• Reg Member

So the question is - is Bright Spark an apt description or an attempt at humour from TT?  Is tomorrow going to be a bit frustrating, as it's my birthday and I have a hangover scheduled for most of the day :).

TT's BrightSparks engineers seem to be an attempt at reducing TT's losses caused by "no fault found" Openreach visits (since TT pass on a smaller charge to the end user than they are are charged themselves in this situation). Naturally they cannot work on Openreach's network so any external fault cannot be fixed. The absolute maximum they will do is check everything is connected properly, the condition of/remove any internal wiring and try a different router. It can be a frustrating waste of time if you know you have an external fault, but I understand the reasoning and it won't take them long.

j0hn

• Kitizen

As above.
I believe they are now allowed to swap master sockets over too (at least the Sky engineers now can).
Nothing you haven't checked yourself by the sounds of it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

boozy

• Reg Member

Looks like Option 1 in this case.  Running at 23.5 down :).

He removed two internal junction boxes as they were a bit pointless, but didn't see anything wrong - not that I'm worried, that's a nice result.

[Moderator edited to reattach the plot, without any excess white space to its right and below.]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 06:03:43 PM by burakkucat »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

The pedantic, old, black cat makes an observation regarding the legend applied to the Y-axis of the plots you have shown . . .

"Db" can only be interpreted as decabits whereas I am certain that you have plotted the values in "dB", decibels.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

boozy

• Reg Member

The pedantic, old, black cat makes an observation regarding the legend applied to the Y-axis of the plots you have shown . . .

"Db" can only be interpreted as decabits whereas I am certain that you have plotted the values in "dB", decibels.  ;)

Duly noted and code changed - although I reset the modem and took telnet off, so no new picture.  I'm tempted to keep the modem as it has a BCM63168 chipset which suits my line (It also gives an extra chunk here too, so I might leave it until next visit).

DiggerOfHoles

OMG no room for two pedants. I'm out of here. Time machine on standby, all cats fed and ready to heard.