Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Firewall Comparison  (Read 11357 times)

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
Firewall Comparison
« on: June 19, 2008, 05:57:55 PM »

Came across this from another forum whilst looking for something else, as you do, thought it might be of interest. Surprised to see ZA not doing so good, which is the one I've used for years.

http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php

dave.m

• Kitizen
Re: Firewall Comparison
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 07:29:53 PM »

Interesting list. The Zonealarm that they tested was not the free version, I am surprised that they did not check it out due to it's popularity.
dave

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 05:57:18 PM »

gosh interesting list indeed..

Just look at all those "common" names that are in the red too  :o
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 06:03:53 PM »

My Mcafee  :o

I see a lot of reports about Kaspersky being good,anyone got anything to add about it?

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 07:03:07 PM »

I see a lot of reports about Kaspersky being good,anyone got anything to add about it?

Yeah, it ain't FREE!
Comodo Pro is.

dave

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 07:11:09 PM »

If Zone Alarm is so mediocre, how come it's kept me rock solid protected for the past 6 years or so?
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 07:31:14 PM »

League tables aren't everything.

Here's a league table and it does not mean the top four are the best:
http://tinyurl.com/648xus
so if you are happy with your firewall and it has not let you down, stick with it.
dave

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 07:47:10 PM »

Yeah it's like the debate going on elsewhere about firefox vs. opera... anyone can concoct stats to support their side of the argument.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Penbwlch

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 06:58:47 PM »

I recently went to a customer who had virus problems. He was running Kaspersky (installed on a newly formatted disk, apparently). I ran Kaspersky's scan and it found one virus but there still seemed to be a problem. I therefore disabled Kaspersky and installed a free version of AVG. That found four more viruses. Job done. I know that this thread is about firewalls but both of those programs are firewalls and anti-virus combined.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 08:29:38 PM »

installed a free version of AVG. . . . . . . . but both of those programs are firewalls and anti-virus combined.

Penbwich,
welcome to the forums.

The FREE version of AVG is NOT a firewall and antivirus combined.
I point this out so that other members do not think that installing the free AVG will also give them firewall protection.

dave

robinsteele

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 03:30:49 AM »

i think kaspersky is the best out there.you can get a 1 key user for £15,or 3 user for £30.i
would suspect them results have a hidden agenda as even panda was supposed to be
one of the best.
Always looking for freebie HQ

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 04:40:03 AM »

This isn't a test of firewalls. Not when its testing things like (I quote) :

"AWFT1 checks whether your firewall allows an untrusted process to launch and modify your default browser in memory."

Firewalls don't do things like that. Operating systems are supposed to handle privileges.

I'm not sure what it is a test of really. A bit of antivirus, some zero-day exploit/rootkit type tests which I suppose are valid if you're trying to subvert the platform the firewall is on but its not a firewall test.

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 06:50:10 AM »

I have ZA and have just had it probed by Shields Up! The result?

"Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice."

I don't update ZA on the grounds that the earlier version is still working just fine. I am using version 6.0.667 and I keep that version for installing on other machines. I don't suppose it will work on Vista though.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 07:11:18 AM »

>> I have ZA and have just had it probed by Shields Up! The result? ... etc

If you use a router, then in most cases that's the result you will get if you have no software firewall at all, because the router firewall blocks all incoming attempts at access.
  Eric

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 07:20:00 AM »

That thought crossed my mind. Although I do find that the if the alerts are turned on, ZA will still report blocking some probes despite the router.

ZA is very useful for bringing to my attention any software that is trying to access the Internet when I don't want it to. Particularly useful when I've installed new software and it wants to call home.
Pages: [1] 2 3