Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VDSL Firmware for ECI modem  (Read 3673 times)

Ignite

• Just arrived
VDSL Firmware for ECI modem
« on: April 15, 2019, 03:01:21 PM »

Hi,

Having unlocked my BTOR ECI modem, I'm looking at different versions of the VDSL bin files that can be used in the firmware folder.  I know there have been comments about how this can make a difference to how fast and how stable the connection is.  For instance on the Vigor 130 there is talk of the BT version and the alternative version. 

Has anyone done any comparisons of different versions and found the best for an ECI cabinet using the BTOR ECI modem?

Thanks

Ignite

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: VDSL Firmware for ECI modem
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 07:15:19 PM »

I don't think any comparisons have been done.

Attempting to load a .bin file that's significantly newer than what the driver is expecting may not work. It's such a long time ago since I did any experiments like this that I can't really remember, but I also think that attempting to load a vectoring capable firmware (last digit 7) with a non-vectoring capable driver doesn't work. And I think the ECI modem is supplied with non-vectoring firmware (last digit 6).

rp00

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 09:10:29 PM »

I wouldn't bother putting new firmware without updating to a newer OpenWRT
I've been running 5.9.0.C.1.7-5.9.0.A.0.2.bin since it was released and it's mega stable but I can't say I've noticed any speed improvements.

Ignite

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 11:04:09 PM »

rp00, what version of OpenWRT are you running?  I take it you are using an BTOR ECI modem?

rp00

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 11:52:12 AM »

Yes, I'm using standard issue OR ECI modem :) and running 18.06.1 if i remember correctly. Will double check in the evening.

rp00

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 11:59:19 AM »

I've just realised, you'll be comparing sync speeds to a stock/unmodified OR ECI modem. They're shipped with a very old VDSL firmware so you'll defo see some improvments even on default Openwrt firmware (5.7.x  i think)

My comment was about the latest Lantiq firmware vs the one bundled with recent Openwrt versions.

Ignite

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 01:00:15 PM »

I wouldn't bother putting new firmware without updating to a newer OpenWRT
I've been running 5.9.0.C.1.7-5.9.0.A.0.2.bin since it was released and it's mega stable but I can't say I've noticed any speed improvements.

I've just updated my box to the latest version of OpenWRT.  It's not connected to my VDSL line yet so I've not had a chance to test it.  However, I've configured the bridge so hopefully it will be OK.  Did you have to do anything else to it after flashing and setting up the bridge?

Are you able to send be a copy of the above bin file please?  Not having any luck with the Freetz site as it is in the process of being moved and the instructions don't seem to work.

Many Thanks

Ignite
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 04:26:28 PM by Ignite »

rp00

Ignite

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 12:36:24 PM »

Thank You rp00.  I've now got it up and running.

Ignite

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 09:40:26 AM »

Ok, I've done some comparisons with the 9.0.C.1.7 firmware from Fritzbox and the 7.B.5.0.7 firmware from the Netgear D200. 

The data rate for the 9.0 firmware is 62.428 Mb/s with the Maximum attainable rate 63.212 Mb/s
The data rate for the 7.B firmware is 62.047 Mb/s with the Maximum attainable rate 71.707 Mb/s

I wonder why there is such a difference in the Maximum attainable rate between the two firmwares.  The 71.707 Mb/s is close to what was reported when using a HG612 Broadcom unit (however with the HG612 the data rate was approx 60 Mb/s).

Ignite

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 12:59:51 PM »

I would assume that your line has Interleaving/INP, and the 71Mb max attainable rate is calculated using the original attainable rate calculation method (as defined in G.993.2), which does not have to take into account the INP_min parameter, whereas the 63Mb max attainable rate has been calculated using the improved attainable rate calculation method, which takes into accounts lots more parameters including the minimum INP level required on the line. There is the g997ansg / G997_AttainableNdrStatusGet command to report the attainable rate method in use, although there does not appear to be a corresponding set command.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 02:26:04 PM »

It would be awesome if someone could get this working with the 18.6 openwrt as that now comes with a UI.

Plus unlike ddwrt which is in perpetual beta and is a lottery to find a stable build, openwrt officially support the release as stable.

Ignite

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 11:46:20 AM »

It would be awesome if someone could get this working with the 18.6 openwrt as that now comes with a UI.

Plus unlike ddwrt which is in perpetual beta and is a lottery to find a stable build, openwrt officially support the release as stable.

I've got OpenWRT 18.6.2 up and running on an BTOR ECI modem.  So far it's been very stable and no issues to speak of.  Just followed the setup details linked to on the correct pages on the OpenWRT site.  Let me know if you want help with this.

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 01:28:17 PM »

Hi,
Can someone tell me how to update xdsl modem fw only. I got unlocked eci modem rinung OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r46559, which is very stable but would like to update to newest xdsl fw. I tried newest Openwrt 18.06.4 but was very unstable, I have issue with dropping connections so have to go back to OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r46559.
Also tried snr tweak on openwrt 18.06.4 and that don't work either in bridge mode.

Edit
--------
Solved
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:57:49 PM by mrk26 »