Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Reason for this advice given?  (Read 2459 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Reason for this advice given?
« on: November 09, 2019, 09:44:30 AM »

In helping me to get rid of a persistent hoax virus warning I was advised
Code: [Select]
If you're still using Google Chrome I would highly suggest you consider using Firefox instead. The help site is a well known one.

From the POV of knowledgeable members what could be the reasons for the recommendation, and do you concur?

parkdale

• Reg Member
Re: Reason for this advice given?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 10:53:46 AM »

I use 3 Internet Browsers Google Chrome, Firefox and Opera... Of the three I use Opera the most as it's faster more tweak-able and better security feature-set than the other 2.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 10:39:41 AM »

In terms of features and performance there is little to choose between Google Chrome and Firefox. The main difference is access to Google services. Chrome is much more tightly tied and so those connections work better but many are unhappy at so much of their data being shared with Google.

As @parkdale I use Chrome, Firefox and sometimes Edge when I have to, some sites only support a subset of browsers. My browser of choice is Opera. Two prime features are VPN and built-in ad blocking. The latter is more efficient than the extensions available elsewhere. (I whitelist Kitz.)

Postal

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 11:47:03 AM »

The situation might change soon for Edge users as there is currently a beta version of Edge out for test that has ditched the Microsoft browser code and is built using Chrome technology.  The Chrome add-ons and extensions that I have tried so far work OK on the new Edge.

anything