Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fat USB recharge battery for phone - hero  (Read 763 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Fat USB recharge battery for phone - hero
« on: April 15, 2019, 01:25:20 AM »

Nowadays, I have given Mrs Weaver a USB recharge battery. She just plugs this big fat battery into her phone and can recharge it fully from that more than once. She has it at home on charge permanently in the bay window and the idea is that that way it will never be neglected and be flat when you need it most, and when her phone does go flat she can just take the battery and phone off with her wherever she wants to go. This is because I ask her to always have her phone with her when she is going around the place and alway have it charged up so that I can get hold of her if I am in pain and need some help.

This is not a good idea as it is though, because if she goes out then she will forget to take the big fat battery with her. She can recharge her phone from usb if she is in the car, but then when she leaves the car she is dead, so what I should do is get her a second fat battery which can just live in the car all the time.

So the big fat USB battery has been a life saver, but now I need another one and I need to really give her the nudge to make sure she remembers that the bay-window one is there, and make sure that she is disciplined about always putting it back on charge again in its well-known spot.

One of the best minor things I have ever bought.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Fat USB recharge battery for phone - hero
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 03:39:46 AM »

It was Ixel in this old thread who gave me this most excellent tip in the first place.

Could I power each of my modems on one? That unfortunately would mean 4 * £25 approx.

It is all a bit mad though as the whole lot of modems are already powered by a UPS anyway, so we would have one UPS feeding another. The traditional mains synthesising UPS powers a gigabit switch and my Firebrick router too as well as the four modems, or rather that would be the four DC UPS bricks. Madness.

So I would definitely need some help splitting that lot up. The modems are supposed to be on a heavily anti-interference filtered mains supply and the switch and the Firebrick router of course don’t need any such thing. Having the whole lot run off one UPS makes sense because if any part of this critical chain fails then I lose internet access, so we need to keep it all running for the same amount of time. Splitting it up means that would not be the case, one part would have a shorter run time.

I have already broken this all-or-nothing rule anyway though in that the WAPs which are critical have a different run-down time now, being in different UPSs, their own little fat li-ion 12v dc bricks. Since I work on an iPad a lot, the ideal sequence is (bizarrely) that the WAPs run down first, before the core network infrastructure - the router plus switch - or the internet access kit, the modems. This is true because that way the iPad will switch to 4G when it sees the loss of 802.11. The worst thing is seeing an isolated WLAN being advertised, one that has no internet access but good signal strength. Perhaps Apple needs to test whether or not a candidate WLAN actually has internet access before it chooses it in preference to another interface such as 4G.

Perhaps an enhancement to the 802.11 family specs would be to include an indication as to whether or not a WLAN with BSS whatever actually has internet access it is isolated in the advertisement of its availability so that a machine is scanning for available networks it can skip those that do not offer working internet access, rather than lamely picking the loudest signal strength and fastest road to literally nowhere, if it’s the internet that you might need. This would be a number of hint flags in some header which originates in something produced in a state machine that exploits higher layer protocols (L3) and calls down to a lower layer to offer information to that lower layer ‘hint: has potential internet access capability; hint: internet access is currently up/down’, which can either take it or leave it, depending on its support for the feature. More information could be published: state=‘internet access coming up’; eta=n seconds; next status report time is=m seconds, m being the suggested delta time when the status should next be polled. A push event-driven interface would be a nice addition where an application is interested in a particular WLAN and wants to know if the internet access that it indirectly provides is coming up or not and how far it has got, in order to give dynamic status info and attractive feedback to the user. The application could then send a low-level event solicitation message on the particular WLAN in question ‘send me internet access status info and state change events’ this might be preferable to polling and it has far more general capabilities.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Fat USB recharge battery for phone - hero
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 03:47:52 AM »

The product advert mentions a set of adaptor plugs to make the device fit <x>. I can’t remember what I bought and if I bought the set I don’t know which one if any was the good fit for the ZyXEL WAP as Janet did all the work for me, plugging it in and shuffling furniture to regain access to the mains for the WAP. I will need to see if she can remember.

Whatever the default is, the socket that it comes with as standard so not requiring any of the adapters, perhaps that’s the answer anyway, as I don’t recall Janet coming back to me saying “It doesn’t fit. How do I get <x> to go into <y>?” So if that’s true it will save me some money because I won’t need n adaptor sets.

anything