Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'm back  (Read 6438 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
I'm back
« on: June 19, 2008, 03:10:24 PM »

Some of you may have noticed that Ive been absent for the past week or so.

Ok I went for a visit somewhere and on my return found myself with a dead "main PC".  The machine is a bit of a workhorse and has run faithfully for many years, but it also "acts as a server" and has all my work stuff on.  I knew it was getting old and although I had another PC that was due to take over, I'd never found the time to set the new system up quite how I wanted it as I'd too easily get distracted by working on the site. 

Everything was and is backed up, but it was also my aim to build a more robust backup system in line with the different demands I place on the system these days. 

I dunno if it was the hot weather or what - but in the end I now have 2 dead PCs - you know the saying everything goes at once when its old...  and you mess with something then sods law something else goes wrong 
Therefore I put myself in self-exile to concentrate on getting everything set up totally differently and re-organise the network. Some of the delay was time, some of it was financial (pay day this week and its beans on toast for the rest of the month ;) )

So apologies for my absence - but it was something that had to be done so I wouldnt allow myself to be distracted... and I also wanted to make sure that the new system was ghosted when totally clean and before it went into action.

I have a backlog of emails/PMs to look at which I will get around to hopefully soon, so please bear with me on those if youre one of them.

...  and finally a big thank you to the mods and regs who have done a fine job keeping everything ticking over during this period.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: I'm back
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 03:13:12 PM »

WELCOME BACK.     :clap:

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 03:22:36 PM »

Glad to seeyou back "home" ;D

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 04:34:26 PM »

Welcome Back, wondered where you had gone, hope you're getting it all sorted.. must have been a nightmare (well it would be for me lol).

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 04:49:05 PM »

you know the saying everything goes at once when its old... 

I know the feeling.

WB
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 05:58:18 PM »

Reminds me of a note above a bar in Luton "Please do not complain about the beer in this establishment. You'll be old and weak yourself one day."

Good to hear your back Kitz  :thumbs:

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 06:56:34 PM »

Welcome back, Kitz. You've been missed. I am presently building a new PC and although the extent of the work is nothing like the complexity of your task, the backing up to an external drive (on USB1!) took forever. And now I've got to install all my applications. I got hold of a copy of Acronis and mean to use that to ghost my new system if and when I get it into some semblance of order.

No need to reply Kitz just adding my appreciation for all the work you do.

Tony

Quinnbeast

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 11:38:16 PM »

The mods can’t have been doing that great a job. They let me in!

Hello, and welcome back. Sounds like a fair task you've got on your hands.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 07:04:31 AM by roseway »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 04:19:19 PM »

Getting there...  just finding out the  niggly bits today - like installing shockwave player and codecs that you normally forget about :D

Is it me or does everything you download these days seem to scream at you.. *install the yahoo toolbar or install Norton free or install this that or the other when you dont want it"  :lol:

and hello and welcome to the forums Quinnbeast :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Yorkie

• Kitizen
  • I'm working on my warm and fluffy side
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 04:30:21 PM »

Strangely I've just dowloaded the new Shockwave about an hour ago, good job I spotted the Norton thingy too.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 07:17:57 PM »

Dead right about the sneaky extras in downloads that you never spot until the damned thing is installed.  >:(

I have started reading every page on a download install now, takes a few seconds longer than repeatedly clicking 'NEXT' without reading the pages but it saves ages in having to uninstall all the carp that you can finish up with.

dave

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 07:26:54 PM »

The worst application I came across for that was the Yahoo Instant Messenger... when you run the set-up, unless you look pretty closely, you will get the dreaded Yahoo toolbar almost by default (and we all know how difficult it is to get rid of)... If i remember correctly, the option not to install it is hidden in something like 'advanced install options'.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 07:34:10 PM »

Even a well reknown program like Ccleaner has an almost unnoticeable preticked box for the Yahoo toolbar even on the version updates, which, I think, is very sneaky.
dave

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 07:43:45 PM »

Despite my eyesight getting worse each year, I'm pretty good at spotting them. :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 11:39:32 PM »

I do not get these problems now with Linux  ;D.

Welcome back kitz.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: [1] 2

anything