Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Replacement for Asus DSL-AC88u  (Read 3716 times)

whatkatedoes

Replacement for Asus DSL-AC88u
« on: April 13, 2019, 09:48:53 PM »

Hi all - I’ve been using the Asus DSL-AC88u for just over a year - I wanted a decent modem router combo with strong WiFi, and VPN support.  It’s been... problematic.  The firmware has been a bit of an infamous debacle.  For the most part though, it’s been ok.  Could never get the VPN functionality to work well, and it had some daft issues with 2.4ghz, DHCP, and DNS in different firmwares.

So! On the mooch for a replacement solution, and this time I’m amenable to a modem & separate router solution, since there seem to be so many decent routers, and I’d like the ability to fart around with the router without fear of reboots mucking up DLM.

There seem to be very few options for standalone modems.  I’d thought about getting an eBay openreach modem, but with support having ended for them I’m wary.

Considerations: I have a relatively noisy line that suffered hellish crosstalk until vectoring/G.INP was implemented, now sync around 64/6. (Upstream has always been poor)

So! Suggestions, please, for a modem, and a router with good AC WiFi (need not be crazy speeds) and VPN support.

I’m still going to cast my eye over the topic in this forum on combination modem-routers, because old habits die hard :)

Many thanks :)

whatkatedoes

Re: Replacement for Asus DSL-AC88u
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 10:13:13 PM »

I had planned to use my old 8800NL in bridged mode... but it won’t boot - just a flashing power LED.

Update: Factory reset - so should be able to use the Billion as modem.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:39:07 PM by whatkatedoes »

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 08:48:38 AM »

If you wanted to stick with an all-in-one unit, then the Billion 8900AX is probably the best alternative. Its a great router for wifi (is 4x4 stream) and offers VPN options.

Otherwise use something like the Asus RT-AC86U (ideally with Merlin firmware loaded) to a modem of your choice (eg Draytek Vigor 130) for a rock solid setup.

whatkatedoes

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 11:03:26 AM »

Billion up and running today as a modem, so far so good.

The ASU’s RT-AC86U looks good, and what I’ve read of Merlin looks good too, though I’m a bit wary of VPN on an Asus now, and wee bit loathe to give them more of my money... but.. I still like what I read about that model.

Also considering Linksys WRT 3200 ACM for DD-WRT.

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 11:14:08 AM »

I am using a WRT 32X with OpenWRT from https://dc502wrt.org and it's working great for BufferBloat as it has SQM with CAKE also WRT 3200 ACM is supported with OpenWRT from the same site. DD-WRT although has SQM doesn't have CAKE as an option for SQM it uses fq-codel instead.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 04:15:56 PM »

@whatkatedoes:
Considerations: I have a relatively noisy line that suffered hellish crosstalk until vectoring/G.INP was implemented, now sync around 64/6. (Upstream has always been poor)

Do you actually have vectoring on your VDSL-2 line ?
If so, you are certainly one of the very few fortunate people who has had vectoring applied to their Huawei cabinet or indeed is now ever likely to have vectoring applied considering the current BT, G.Fast implementation policy.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

whatkatedoes

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 06:42:08 PM »

My connection was up and down like a yo-yo as my neighbour would switch their router off/on - and my rate would drop from 55mbit average to low 40s.  Then, all of a sudden - no drops, and sync 55-65. 

Downstream   Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):     23.6      0.0
Signal attenuation (dB):   Not monitored      
Connection speed (kbps):   56406      6014
SNR margin (dB):           7.0      6.0
Power (dBm):               12.3      4.9
Interleave depth:          4      1
INP:                       58.00      0
G.INP:                     Enabled      Not enabled
Vectoring status:          1 (VECT_FULL)   

Slow today today after me accidentally pulling the power cable at one point!, doh.

Still pondering router.  Really like the look of Merlin based RT-AC86u - just wary of bloody Asus, and 2.4ghz in particular.

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 07:48:58 PM »

If you want to avoid Asus  - understandable as their routers can be buggy as hell - then go for arguably the best router for wifi, the Netgear R7800. However you'll need to install DD-WRT on it as stock firmware doesn't support VPN. Installing Kong's DD-WRT build is your best option if you go down the R7800 route.

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/

whatkatedoes

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 10:54:39 AM »

Problematic weekend - rebooted the Billion at one point, and could not get it to reconnect - either via the router or by direct PC connection.  It remained synced, but could not connect PPPoE from either PC or router.  >_<

The DSL-AC88u seems to now be on startling good behaviour:

TCM(Trellis Coded Modulation)   
ON
ON
SNR   3.9 dB   5.9 dB
Line Attenuation   23.0 dB   N/A
Path Mode   Fast   Fast
Interleave Depth   8   1
Data Rate   65472 kbps   5821 kbps
MAX Rate   68288 kbps   5821 kbps
POWER   12.5 dbm   4.4 dbm
CRC   152   166
HEC   0   0
ES   141   138
SES   95   0
FEC   9523388   264
INP   56.00 symbols   0 symbols

But it was never it's modem side that was problematic - so I'm going to somewhat more lazily seek to pickup either a cheap Vigor 130, or Netgear DM200, whilst I sort out plans for future router.  Definitely in favour of one of the netgear R7800/R8000's - so long as the firmware modding to DD-WRT/Open-WRT isn't too stressful!

anything