Computers & Hardware > Networking

VLAN's and DHCPv6

(1/1)

Chrysalis:
I am somewhat a VLAN novice.  My knowledge with VLAN's is very basic, and I am currently completing a guest network on my setup.

Almost everything is working except now DHCPv6 is just dead.  No ip's get allocated to LAN devices.

So is there something special needed when VLAN tagging is used for DHCPv6 to function?

If needed I will type out my setup, but its a generic question which I hope would be applicable to all devices.

Weaver:
Is this DHCPv6 coming from the ISP ? Or do you have your own DHCPv6 server?

Weaver:
Just a random guess - trying to think of anything that could be anything to do with VLANs, but I don’t know what your RAs look like
    https://teamarin.net/2018/06/25/common-mistake-dhcpv6/

Chrysalis:
Thanks weaver.

DHCPv6 LAN side, not from isp.

I have now solved it, the issue was after I bound the LAN network on pfsense to the private VLAN (from native network device), it lost its ipv6, and I had to reinitialise the WAN for it to come back, once that was in place DHCPv6 was fine again, since my LAN DHCPv6 auto generates the first octets from the WAN assigned prefix, it cannot work without that in place, so thats why it was failing.

Also to help other newbies I will post a guide at some point, on setting up isolated subnets for things like guest wifi.  The guide will be based on pfsense/opnsense paired with a openwrt device as the AP/switch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version