Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I/O Rate Monitoring on an iPad  (Read 4983 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
I/O Rate Monitoring on an iPad
« on: December 30, 2018, 07:03:06 AM »

I am trying to find something that will show the io rate of the wireless NIC on my iPad, traffic bytes in/out and preferably packet counts too. Ideally I would like to see both current byte rate updating, and history graphs of io rates over time. I’ve tried to find an app that does this. I’ve looked within apps that I already have.

Does anyone know of such a quality iPad app?

Alternatives

I’ve also looked around for this kind of function in my Firebrick router, but I just can’t seem to find it at the moment. I’ve also tried to find this in my ZyXEL NWA 3560 WAPs. The WAPs do have a graph of data rate over time which is excellent, but there is a five minute inter-sample interval and you can’t see a current rate.

I can get data rates out of the ISP AA’s clueless.aa.net.uk control server, but I have to add up the individual rates of all the four lines. This is a nightmare task as there is no easy way of controllably selecting a particular sample time and the user is required to click on a time graph, a method that is extremely hit and miss if you are trying to pick a particular time accurately and get figures relating to that. It’s a shame AA doesn’t have an alternative method where the user can just enter a time rather than being required to point and click in such an inaccurate way. This is not a workable method of getting reasonably accurate second by second current io rate figures, although it does update fairly frequently and there is not a huge delay. It would not be so bad for single line users.

But getting io rates for traffic across the wireless LAN obviously cannot be done by using internet access routers or ISP’s monitoring servers. For some tasks an app in one machine would be best.

A ‘who is eating all the bandwidth right now’ feature would be nice to have in a router or in a switch, or failing that, in WAP. The latter is not so useful as I have several WAPs.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: I/O Rate Monitoring on an iPad
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 04:44:59 AM »

Had another dig around, but I just can’t seem to find such a thing. Any ideas where to look ? App Store searches are just bewildering