Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I think one of my HG612's is dead/dying.  (Read 1589 times)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
I think one of my HG612's is dead/dying.
« on: April 08, 2019, 07:39:09 PM »

So I noticed recently that the Sky VDSL line has dropped to about 40Mb of throughput, as I was away I couldn't really do much to check, but I managed to get the stats up this morning and indeed, my usual 69000 was more like 35000. I rebooted the modem just the once (90 days uptime) and this got it back to 69000, however, throughput was still 40000.

With no reason to suspect a fault on the carrier side yet, I swapped it for a Sky modem/router combo thing for testing, and sure enough, speed is now stable at 69000.

This HG612 is now 7 years old at this point, so I am wondering if it indeed is going bad? It's been powered on pretty much permanently since April 2012.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: I think one of my HG612's is dead/dying.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 09:29:46 PM »

This HG612 is now 7 years old at this point, so I am wondering if it indeed is going bad? It's been powered on pretty much permanently since April 2012.

It has done very well, in that case.

However, depending upon the build quality of your particular device, there is nothing to say that it's age and powered-up time could necessarily be a problem. If you have the time, perhaps open up the case (four screws in total, one under each rubber foot) and scrutinise the components for obvious signs of distress.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 08:41:14 AM »

Yes, I will certainly do that. I do have one spare so I can easily replace it and get back to normality.

Wonder what I will do when HG612's are no longer available though?

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 03:24:50 PM »

Hi

I expect the problem is related to capacitors, they may look bulged out or have leaked, but often don't show much sign of stress but are still bad.

Electrolytic capacitors life time is measured in just thousands of hours, so they've done well to get to 7 years of 24/7 operation.  Usually they are rated to last a few years at most domestic kit like this, but the kit supplied to BT would be better specified.

Regards

Phil

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 04:52:59 PM »

7 years x 24/7 = over 64,000 hours. Yeah, that's not bad.

I have another HG612, I may just do a straight swap for now.

I also have a Sky Q router (not much cop for me on pfSense though), an older Sky hub, two ZyXEL's. I'm not short of spares, at least.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 09:23:00 PM »

I popped the lid off, all looks fine inside, aside from the dust...

The temporary Sky Q hub is holding steady at 69Mb.

Will put my spare HG612 on tomorrow..

kyoudaiai

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 05:00:32 PM »

it might really be something simpler and I've run into it personally few times. check the pins on the router and any other filter / splitter before it as well some times they are just distressed and won't make enough contact with the socket pins.

I usually bring a paper clip unfold it into a look like and pull on the pins gently it will come up
and then connect my socket again some times if I felt the socket is loose and believe me some are enough to cause minor issues I put an extra piece of plastic jammed between the socket and it's spring part making it all solid and immune to any vibration or movement.