Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BTw Performance Tester Changes  (Read 1303 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
BTw Performance Tester Changes
« on: April 06, 2019, 12:32:09 PM »

Anyone noticed that the BTw BB Performance Tester has changed recently ?
Apart from a change of the opening screen dialogue, on the actual DS and US speed tests there is a destinct pause at 20, 40, 60 & 80% completion, I last used the facility at the end of January this year and operation was to previous expectation.

My DS speed test now reports approx. 2% lower than previous, US approx. 7% lower.
Nothing has changed on my setup as verified by DSLStats which I run & record 24/7, my synch speeds and BRAS profiles remain the same.
Test results from other speed testing utilities remain the same as previous.
Can only attribute the lower speed reporting on the BTw facility to be a result of what appears to be the changed speed testing method.

Appreciate that the BTw Performance Tester is not held in very high regard with respect to accuracy and repeatability on this forum, however, I have always found the results to be repeatable & reliable on my system when used with Pale Moon Browser (not Firefox) and reasonably comparable with results obtained from other speed testers.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
Re: BTw Performance Tester Changes
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 12:52:09 PM »

The BTW tester has always been unreliable for me, so I don't pay too much attention to its results:

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 01:20:45 PM »

Yes, the BTw tester has always been recognised as wildly inaccurate on higher speed systems such as your FTTPoD 330/30 provision, the opening dialogue does infer that speeds up to 330 Mbps should report but speeds above 330 Mbps "can not be verified", obviously not the case as your results show.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 10:31:55 PM »

its a good job I never took it seriously else plusnet would have hated me, when I used it in my plusnet days it would spit out results often under 20mbit/sec when every other tester and normal usage of my line was at high speeds.

anything