Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DMT Tool.  (Read 3419 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
DMT Tool.
« on: November 14, 2006, 11:05:11 PM »

Hello All.
I have been playing with the DMT Tool   http://dmt.mhilfe.de/    being its in German I used Google to translate it.
I need some advice from anyone who has used it on there network.
From my understanding you install it on one computer and it communicates with your router from that one computer.
On my home network I have DMT installed on the 'kitchen' computer, but if that kitchen one is turned off and my Daughter is using her's or we are using other ones, then the DMT will not be doing its job ?.
Have I got that right ?.
Do you have to install it on each computer ? And have all the settings the same.

I have seen a web site with a good guide to using this tool but cannot remember which one, any body know.?.

Regards Michael.

Ps. because my exchange is showing RED     http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?      and says it may affect my speed I will not post any results until they have fixed it on 22 nov.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 11:57:40 AM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DMT Tool.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 07:30:51 AM »

DMT has two main functions, a monitoring function and a facility to tweak the target noise margin. If you want to use the monitoring function then obviously DMT has to be running on the PC where you want to see the results. But if you're just using it for noise margin tweaking then it only has to be on one PC - what the tweaking does is change the settings inside the router, and once you save the changes they are fixed until you deliberately change them again.

Eric
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: DMT Tool.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 11:55:26 AM »

Hi Eric.
Thanks for the info.
Re...and once you save the changes they are fixed until you deliberately change them again.
Great that's the bit I had not grasped.
From Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.