Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: power a controller board via USB 12V/5A  (Read 7618 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: power a controller board via USB 12V/5A
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 04:37:25 PM »

thinking outside the box, i started to wonder if there is a 12v power plug that has more than 1 output, so it's 1 mains plug but with 2 or 4 outputs to power multiple devices from the one mains plug.

a google brought up this on the CPC website - http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1870706.pdf
appears to be a 12V 5A supply with 4 outputs. details are a bit sketchy but the link is the technical sheet.

has anyone seen any of these before and does the spec sheet confirm it outputs 12V 5A on all outputs at the same time?

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 05:04:51 PM »

That is rated at a total power output of 60watt, i.e. 5A at 12v. That output is shared between 4 connectors.
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 05:12:26 PM »

I can’t find anywhere that Farnell say so, but agree with atminsong, I feel sure that’ll be 5A total, shared among all outputs.

The manufacturer’s own website seems to confirm, a device with very similar part number..

http://www.powerpax.co.uk/downloads/dl/file/id/200/product/927/60w_12vdc_5a_desktop_power_supply_powerpax.pdf/

Technically possible to make a 12V PSU capable of 4x5 Amp outputs, but I don’t think you’ll find one that just uses a splitter cable to four individual small jack plugs.    Reason being, worst case is total of 20Amps to one of the four.   That would need a pretty heavy duty cable, as well as heavy duty connectors. Putting it in context, it’s about double the current drawn by a typical mains powered electric kettle.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 06:16:02 PM »

damn, was worth a try.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 07:06:16 PM »

Sorry, I thought post two was referring to the power output of the USB port on the NUC, my mistake.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 07:09:17 PM »

Getting back to the original question, you still have one free socket on one of the mains extensions, why not use it?

I don’t see any reason that full utilisation of extension sockets should be a safety problem as long they are of appropriate quality and basic safety rules are followed.   Keep attached appuratus well within the maximum overall rating, and don’t daisy-chain them.      Arguably, having a plug in all the sockets is safer than leaving one empty, as it avoids the temptation to plug in the high current vacuum cleaner to the one that’s left over, possibly tipping the whole lot into overload.

And go for good brands, look out for cheap fakes, I have seen many that are downright dangerous because they were just badly designed or badly made.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 08:44:30 PM »

there's no real reason to not use the free socket, it was just a thought about alternate powering options.
the controller box doesn't come with a PSU (it's a controller box from China and even if it did come with one i wouldn't be using that one!).
i've probably got a suitable PSU laying about somewhere, otherwise i'll need to find one on amazon that is of acceptable quality.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 09:55:46 PM »

I have a home made amblilight setup powered by an Arduino Uno, it has a string of 50 addressable LED's, is this the kind of thing you have?

My Uno is powered by a nomral 5V USB power supply, I just made sure to buy a good quality one from a UK supplier and its fine, the Uno draw almost no power at all. I am a bit of an electronics hobbyist and have watched too many Youtube videos about Chinese power supplies to ever buy one again, lol. 

The LED lights themselves in my case are separately powered and for them I bought a laptop power supply rated to in excess of the required power, I think from memory my lights are WS2811 and require 12V and the load is over 5A so I had to buy a pretty chunky laptop PSU - from memory I bought an OEM (can't remember whether it was HP, IBM etc) these are a decent choice as they are rated for continuous load.  Personally I would avoid the generic ebay ones as although they are much cheaper they are very variable qulaity wise.

In other news, if you have an HTPC and haven't already got an Ambilight setup you should definitely consider it, very cool, wife loves it.

Cool beans

Chunks

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2019, 09:02:22 AM »

no, the box i've bought is this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/GLEDOPTO-ZIGBEE-Led-Controller-RGB-CCT-WW-CW-zigbee-controller-LED-DC12-24V-LED-strip-controller/32858603964.html

it advertises itself as a philips hue "bulb", which you then connect the LED strip to. the only item that needs power is the controller box.

the led strip i bought to go with this is https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-12V-5M-300LEDs-Not-Waterproof-Single-Color-RGB-LED-Strip-5050-SMD-5630-3528-Flexible/32738927195.html

these have been confirmed to work and integrate into philips hue systems.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 03:50:11 PM »

Whilst I was searching the Internet for a 12v power supply in regards to powering multiple 12v devices I discovered that if you Google CCTV power supply you'll find a lot of power supplies and splitter leads, although you may need buy/make some adapter cables.

Might be a way to cut down on sockets used.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2019, 06:44:27 PM »

yeah, most of the ones i've seen though only seem to split the 12v 5A over all the outputs and can't deliver it to all of them

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2019, 07:31:49 PM »

Yes but that 12v 5amp would power a router and a modem easily, or a couple of HDD caddies, halving the plugs required.

This is probably the best I've seen, but rather expensive, and still only a total of 7 amps over the 9 ports, but the ports are rated at 3.15 amps so long as you don't exceed the total of 7.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253791144745

There are even bigger ones, but still only 2.5amp per channel, I suppose as CCTV camera's don't draw much power.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142987825595

Of course neither are suitable for a living room.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 02:08:30 PM »

i'll need to have a proper look and see what each device requires.
out of all the devices i have the only ones that would be likely to work in such a situation are.

virgin hub
2 x seagate external HDDs
dlink 4 port switch
hue bridge
zgemma cable STB (that one is strong maybe)

the router (edgerouter X) and AP (unifi AC lite) are both powered via the 1 POE injector (the edgerouter has POE passthru).

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2019, 07:39:27 PM »

well the controller and LED strip arrived and currently powering it using a mains adaptor i already had.
it works as it should and Hue sees it a bulb and integrates it into the Hue system.

a Hue LED strip for the fraction of the cost of an actual Hue Strip.
Pages: 1 [2]