Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Should I be concerned with this level of packet loss and latency?  (Read 6862 times)

22over7

• Reg Member
Re: Should I be concerned with this level of packet loss and latency?
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2019, 08:26:24 PM »

I'm very interested in the outcome of your investigations.

For traffic, I use pmt0.1 (VMG1312-B10a). (Just to see what that blind choice looked like. )

dslstats shows daily histograms, that that more or less conform with my expectations.
There must be some kind of wrap-around, that dslatats copes with by Dark Magic. Or by Understanding.

Wow. Do you know how to ask dslstats to monitor hourly data? How?

7cfm

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2019, 06:04:59 AM »

ptm0.1 is the one I went for as well. I've attached a pic of the setting you need to change in DSLStats and the graph it produces, I've also attached the results from last night. The Chromecasts are causing quite a few spikes, next I'm going to disable them and enable to firesticks to see what happens.

My prediction is that they will also cause spikes and the combination of 2 chromecasts and 2 firesticks (I found another one) is causing the latency, but we'll see.

7cfm

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2019, 07:15:54 AM »

Also I had a look at pihole this morning, it must be the way I've got it setup but it doesn't show individual clients, it just lumps everything into my router IP address of 192.168.2.10 so it doesn't give any clues

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2019, 08:35:17 AM »

Do you know how to ask dslstats to monitor hourly data? How?

You can't get hourly but on the traffic tab you can select Traffic / minute which gives the graph others have posted.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

22over7

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2019, 10:40:43 AM »

Also I had a look at pihole this morning, it must be the way I've got it setup but it doesn't show individual clients, it just lumps everything into my router IP address of 192.168.2.10 so it doesn't give any clues

What I do is: go to "query log" under "long term data", click on "date and time range", then "today".  Under "recent queries", specify all (instead of last 10).
You should see a huge list of blocked and unblocked queries.
Then scroll down to some time of interest -- when you're fast asleep for example, and your main machines are off. 
In my case I see masses of lookups related to microsoft, google, bitdefender, etc etc ... and peculiar stuff I've difficulty in explaining.
(Most of this emanated from my wife's windows laptop, which is supposedly asleep.)

I find all this enlightening, and slightly horrifying.  Now and then I see something that definitely needs to be blocked.
Or some poll interval (for ntp or whatever) that can safely be whacked up.

(I'm sorry, I've not really mastered the chops to post screen shots very reliably.) 

7cfm

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2019, 02:15:49 PM »

It still only shows my routers IP address but you're right, all of those DNS queries when everything is supposedly shut is down is a bit of an eye opener   

7cfm

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2019, 09:08:06 AM »

I think this post concludes my investigation. Yesterday afternoon I disabled all chromecasts and firesticks, there are still a lot of yellow spikes on the graph but it quietens things down a lot with fewer spikes but they are still there. It would have been nice to have correlated this with the DSLStats traffic graph but I was greeted with the attached error message this morning when I logged into my Pi.

My very unscientific conclusion is that any traffic, no matter how small, will cause a spike on the BQM graph for maximum latency but subjectively this makes little real world difference with the caveat that there are no gamers in the household.

Equipment Zyxel 1312-B10A in bridge mode, GL.iNet AR750S router and DSLStats on a Pi 3B+
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:10:10 AM by 7cfm »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2019, 11:18:34 AM »

curious how fast is your sync speed?

7cfm

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2019, 01:04:27 PM »

Stats attached, not brilliant for FTTC but way better than we had with adsl

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2019, 01:48:43 PM »

yeah essentially the lower your burst speed, the higher and easier it is to spike your latency under load.

I mean you not in adsl territory but with that speed I can deffo see you would have issues without any QoS.

You have got rid of the packet loss, which in itself was the real problem.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything