Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Real world advantage of using baby jumbo frames  (Read 1892 times)

RTouris

Real world advantage of using baby jumbo frames
« on: March 31, 2019, 12:16:12 PM »

Do forgive my ignorance, but leaving the tech side aside for a moment, which - on first read - translates to a boost of about 0.7% to the efficiency of the transmitted packets (1508 vs. 1500), could any of you with baby jumbo frames active on their setups provide real world throughput stats showcasing the actual benefit one would see in everyday use? Given a modern VDSL line syncs to anything from 30 to 100+ mbps, how would that extra 0.7% make any difference whatsoever? From what i read so far (it's not much mind you) I'm not completely convinced it's worth the time and hassle to tweak my VMG8924 (in bridge mode) to activate baby jumbo frames...I'm not even sure my IPS supports them on the other hand ;)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Real world advantage of using baby jumbo frames
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 01:17:03 PM »

I have MTU 1508 set up but I couldn’t measure a 0.7% improvement like that, because the noise in speed testers is far too great. I routinely get 10% variation in some speed testers sometimes, but other times they’re more reproducible. If TCP is used - which it shouldn’t be - then so much depends on the behaviour of TCP software at both ends, not in the link.

The letmecheck.it tester does a good job of testing for MTU, but watch out, because - as has been mentioned in earlier threads - their stupid setup causes things to fail if you are able to use IPv6 at your end.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 10:26:42 PM »

The performance from reduced overheads isnt of any measurable use, its real benefit is when coming across broken mtu discovery implementations.

It can also make some tcp congestion algorithms break and in those cases you get a much more measurable performance benefit.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 05:15:31 PM »

What Chrys said

anything