Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: RESOLVED - Help with DSLstats login over WAN connection - VMG1312-b10a  (Read 1854 times)

Hitman

Hi Guy's,

Having trouble getting Dslstats to login to a 1312-b10a set as a modem/bridge (Modified firmware from this forum) v1.00(AAJZ.16)C0 jumboF_oldtelnet.bin)), my router is an Asus AC86U running latest Merlin 384.10, I can access the webpage and manually telnet in fine using 2 different configs but DSLstats refuses to connect - unable to login, tried the following setups...

Basic config 1 - (no changes done on vmg1312) Changed only the router WAN page from 'get wan IP automatically' to manual and set 192.168.0.1 (1312 default IP) and 192.168.0.2 for the router IP - can then access modem webpage and telnet in fine from the lan - but DSLstats unable to login.

Advanced config 2 - On the 1312 setup an 'interface group' called bridge and assigned the VDSL Ptm0.1 to Lan port 1 (wan connection to router) and created a 'Vlan group' ID 2 called it DSlstats, as expected in 'home networking' I have a default setup - IP 192.168.0.1 and the bridge setup I created - IP 192.168.2.1 (as expected no longer a lan connection to the 1312), then got the routing in the router adjusted to connect the lan 192.168.1.x with 192.168.2.x subnet via...

Telnet into the router and added the following lines...

ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.2.253 netmask 255.255.255.0

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING ! -s $(nvram get lan_ipaddr) -d 192.168.2.0/24 -j SNAT --to 192.168.2.253

This now gives back full access again to the lan like the basic config 1 and now to 192.168.2.1 - can access 1312 webpage and manually telnet in fine but again DSLstats says unable to login (changed login details to the new 192.168.2.1 IP)  ???

If i connect my laptop direct to the vmg1312 and set the static ip of 192.168.1.10 to the laptop, DSLstats (running on the laptop) connects fine when using either basic (no changes on modem) or advanced config setups.

Any idea's?

Thanks.

Edit: Resolved by logging in via 'supervisor' account
  :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:48:44 AM by Hitman »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

Isn't this unwise as you are effectively bridging your the LAN to your ISPs VLAN over PTM?

I can't imagine they would be too pleased if random ARP is getting sent over their network.  I mean I'd expect it to block such traffic at their end, but you never know.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

hushcoden

• Reg Member

Perhaps it's unwise, but the method Hitman described as config 2 it's the only way to access the ZyXEL which works for me...

I spent several hours trying to configure router (Netgear R7000 with DD-WRT) and modem with the two-cable solution as per my previous post at https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20901.msg363078.html with no success...  >:(

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

That's quite bizarre as the other LAN ports are literally just on your LAN, there should be nothing to stop it working with the two cable method.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Hitman

That's quite bizarre as the other LAN ports are literally just on your LAN, there should be nothing to stop it working with the two cable method.

Yes 2 cable method would be fine but users setting up the 2nd config I posted have only the 1 WAN connection to the modem.

That said after finding the correct login for lan access - DSLstats (weird as normal admin login works when connected direct to modem), I found I no longer required/setting up a vlan on the modem (config 2), so removed all this config I added to the modem, setting it back to original basic bridge mode, only having the modem ip added to the ac86u WAN setup was enough to get access from my lan and dslstats also works fine again with supervisor login, so only have the below wiki tutorial in place now.

Access modem from Lan using Merlin firmware...
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Access-modem-Web-UI-on-WAN-port-(no-script)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:29:22 PM by Hitman »

hushcoden

• Reg Member

I couldn't figure out what the issue was... the modem IP address (LAN side) is 192.168.0.100 (DHCP server is disabled) and the router address is 192.168.0.1: now, I believe that when I connect the second cable between the router and the modem, the router DHCP server tries to assign an IP address to the modem, right?

What if it tries to assign, let's say, the address 192.168.0.20 while the modem address is actually 192.168.0.100, would it be a problem ?

Anyway, I don't see the modem listed as a connected devices within the router... even if I do a static assignation...

Sorry but networking is for me a kind of 'black hole'...  :blush: