Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

Trees and Overhead Telephone Wires - Who Is Responsible?

(1/3) > >>

ktz392837:
If you have an overhead telephone wire and a neighbours or council owned tree has grown and is entangling / stretching it is it BTs problem or should the neighbour or council be cutting their trees to avoid damage to the wire?  Thanks

sevenlayermuddle:
I suspect there may be no definitive answer, it all depending on circumstances.  And probably depends a lot too, on the mood of the individual BT staff making the decision.

But I think you’ll usually find that, when apuratus is installed on/under/over privately owned land, and that appuratus benefits neighbouring properties,  the landowner will have been asked or forced to sign a wayleave agreement.   Such agreements might typically contain a clause making the landowner responsible for damage caused by trees and shrubs.

licquorice:
Nothing to do with BT, the wires belong to Openreach. Unless/until a fault occurs, they will not be interested.

ktz392837:

--- Quote from: licquorice on March 30, 2019, 07:04:21 PM ---Nothing to do with BT, the wires belong to Openreach. Unless/until a fault occurs, they will not be interested.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for your helpful reply!  Just in case - that is sarcasm I am sure you knew what I was trying to ask ffs.

ktz392837:

--- Quote from: sevenlayermuddle on March 30, 2019, 06:37:09 PM ---I suspect there may be no definitive answer, it all depending on circumstances.  And probably depends a lot too, on the mood of the individual BT staff making the decision.
--- End quote ---
. Has anyone had any experience of this happening - how was it resolved? 

What would happen if the tree would need to be cut before the wire could be reliably replaced? 

Were BT really that organised to get agreements when they erected the pole decades ago serving multiple properties where several of the wires on the pole may be spread across multiple peoples gardens to get to a single target house?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version