Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spam Message.  (Read 4273 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Spam Message.
« on: March 22, 2019, 05:52:25 PM »

I had a Video message sent to my iPhone yesterday from my daughter while I was out having a walk.
I waited until I got back home and asked her if she had sent it me, she had not, she checked her iPhone and there was no trace of it being sent from her iPhone .
So was this some sort of Spam message and why did it come through on her contact.

I did not open it I deleted it.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Spam Message.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 08:14:57 PM »

Check “airdrop” settings, settings App->General->Airdrop.   Or you can set it from Control Panel if you like living by Icons (I don’t).

Airdrop’s  a very useful facility for exchanging files, photos, videos etc, between Apple devices, be they owned by yourself or somebody else.   But it is all too easy to leave Airdrop Recieve permissions set to “Everyone”.   That way, any nearby prankster can identify you as a sucker, and try and “drop” a file onto your device.   I think I read somewhere there was a craze for schoolkids on public transport, to look for Airdrop receivers and send them nasty images, which they are then prompted to accept.

...anyway, it’s just a suggestion, one possibility?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 09:51:31 PM »

Hi. No Air drop as this is an old iPhone 5 or was you talking about my daughters iPhone 8 which would have that app.
Also I was in the middle of a 500 Acre deer park when I received it. :'(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 10:19:33 PM »

Pretty sure an iPhone 5 would have Airdrop, as long as it has a suitable iOS version.   There is no need to be connected to a WiFi network, or to have mobile data enabled.   The communication requirement is simply to be within bluetooth range of another device.    In a deer park, that might be a person at an adjacent picnic bench.

But I did say, it was only a suggestion. :)

anything