Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Openreach Consults UK Broadband ISPs on Copper Switch-Off  (Read 4878 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Openreach Consults UK Broadband ISPs on Copper Switch-Off
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 08:28:29 AM »

I’ve had an idea.

Where fibre extends as far as the cabinet, we could  call it FTTC.
Where it extends to the customer premises, we could  call it FTTP.

Too radical?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 02:23:13 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 11:30:46 AM »

I can't see how there could ever be enough radio spectrum to move everybody on to wireless broadband. Wireless is probably the answer for broadband coverage in the country side, not in towns. I just hope that I get fibre in the future where I live to improve reliability. Incidentally my local council has got hold of a pot of money to pay BT to install fibre in my borough. Hopefully my road will be done by the end of this year. Even if I don't get it myself, if should do wonders for my noise margin, as other people go for it........................

Wireless voice aka mobile phones.

Towns already commonly have indoor coverage for mobile signals.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 01:36:56 PM »

Speaking of pedantry, FTTP probably isn't broadband either.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 01:43:03 PM »

Ofcom is holding its own related consultation

Ofcom’s Proposal for Copper to Fibre Migration

We propose applying the following requirements:

a) Openreach is required to deploy its fibre network in an exchange area to provide 100% coverage. As such, all customers will have the choice of purchasing a fibre service prior to the focus of our regulation switching away from copper-services.

b) Openreach is required to provide a 40Mbps (10Mbps upload) service on its fibre [FTTP] network.

Our view is that to ensure a smooth transition for customers, there will need to be a period of time (subsequent to the above requirements being met), where we continue to regulate copper-based services prior to switching the focus of our regulation to a set of regulated fibre products. This needs to be sufficiently long to allow rival access seekers to inform their customers and manage the future changes to the focus of our regulation.

During that time we propose an overlap where we continue to regulate copper-based services in parallel to regulating fibre-base services. We propose that that this should be at least two years. In addition, we propose that at the start of this overlap period, Openreach is no longer required to provide new copper connections (including no longer being required to migrate a customer back to a copper service from a FTTP service).

We propose that when this two-year period has elapsed, we would lift price regulation on copper-based services and switch to regulating a set of fibre-based products only.

More at https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/03/ofcom-updates-on-plan-to-boost-uk-full-fibre-broadband-investment.html

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2019, 04:17:00 PM »

FTTP is really broad broadband. GPON uses over 3.6 GHz of spectrum as it doesn't use high order modulations so it's a single bit per Hz.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything