Announcements > News Articles

Openreach Consults UK Broadband ISPs on Copper Switch-Off

<< < (2/4) > >>

jelv:
If they don't provide a phone only service that will work with people's existing handsets, answering machines etc. I can see this dragging out in the same way as the attempt to push us all over to DAB radio.

Chrysalis:
Why are people clinging onto landlines tho?

I know someone will reply because some of us have no indoor mobile coverage, the solution for that is simply for ofcom to impose a legislation that requires all mobile providers to provide coverage to reasonably populated areas that works indoors, problem solved.

If they willing to force a landline universal coverage (far more expensive to achieve than wireless) then they should be doing the same on wireless voice.

benji09:
  I can't see how there could ever be enough radio spectrum to move everybody on to wireless broadband. Wireless is probably the answer for broadband coverage in the country side, not in towns. I just hope that I get fibre in the future where I live to improve reliability. Incidentally my local council has got hold of a pot of money to pay BT to install fibre in my borough. Hopefully my road will be done by the end of this year. Even if I don't get it myself, if should do wonders for my noise margin, as other people go for it........................

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: benji09 on March 26, 2019, 09:32:01 PM ---  I can't see how there could ever be enough radio spectrum to move everybody on to wireless broadband. Wireless is probably the answer for broadband coverage in the country side, not in towns. I just hope that I get fibre in the future where I live to improve reliability. Incidentally my local council has got hold of a pot of money to pay BT to install fibre in my borough. Hopefully my road will be done by the end of this year. Even if I don't get it myself, if should do wonders for my noise margin, as other people go for it........................

--- End quote ---

Not to mention there will always be one form of crosstalk or another.  Latency and jitter will never be as good on wireless, not to mention security.

sevenlayermuddle:
Terms like “copper switch off” and “full fibre” amuse me.

The journalists that use these terms... have they ever considered the Cat 5 cable from wall socket to modem/router?   Or the ethernet cable from router to PC, TV, whatever?   Its conductors are made of copper. :)

And even if we got rid of copper cables, replacing with fibre.... what about the pcb tracks on the connected appuratus?   Yes, still copper.  ::)

And even if we have optical network computers, with optical interfaces, how will they get their power?   You guessed, the National grid and distribution companies, all copper. :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version