Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SSH/Telnet Commands DSL 2888a  (Read 5096 times)

DareDev1L

SSH/Telnet Commands DSL 2888a
« on: March 19, 2019, 06:16:18 AM »

Hey guys,

So I got the D-Link DSL 2888a and found that it has SSH/Telnet access. My problem is that I can't seem to get anything to actually work on it. Do you guys know what commands to use? I've googled for hours literally can't find any list of commands anywhere. I will provide a few screenshots of what I see. I honestly can't get even normal information out of telnet even though on previous routers they at least gave that, yet this modem claims it gives me full access?

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

EDIT: Reason for wishing to know is because I'd like to see information on any ES I am getting, also if I have the ability to tweak SNR or possible interleaving level albeit doubtful.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:19:06 AM by DareDev1L »

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: SSH/Telnet Commands DSL 2888a
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 10:28:07 AM »

From googling it appears to use a triductor chipset which I know nothing about. I have used a huawei HG633 with one, but it didn't have any kind of telnet/ssh access.

I assume you have tried "xdslctl" etc on the off chance they have copied broadcom wholesale?

Can you move around in the shell at all? "ls" "cd /" etc?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 03:04:47 PM »

. . . and see if the following command line is recognised & produces output --

cat /proc/cpuinfo
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

DareDev1L

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 12:08:49 PM »

. . . and see if the following command line is recognised & produces output --

cat /proc/cpuinfo

From googling it appears to use a triductor chipset which I know nothing about. I have used a huawei HG633 with one, but it didn't have any kind of telnet/ssh access.

I assume you have tried "xdslctl" etc on the off chance they have copied broadcom wholesale?

Can you move around in the shell at all? "ls" "cd /" etc?

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, good to know I'm not alone in this. I've entered the commands you mentioned, it seems to not deny the commands you mentioned johnson but doesn't exactly give any info either. I actually got plenty response from what you asked me to enter in burakkucat.

Do these mean anything to you? >.>

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 03:43:54 PM »

We can see that a ARM processor is powering the device. That's not a problem in its own right but I suspect it does not have a "hoped for" Broadcom chipset for the xDSL circuit handling.

I see you have misread and, thus, mistyped the command that johnson suggested you try . . . It is ls , a lower case "el" and a lower case "es".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

DareDev1L

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 01:16:36 AM »

We can see that a ARM processor is powering the device. That's not a problem in its own right but I suspect it does not have a "hoped for" Broadcom chipset for the xDSL circuit handling.

I see you have misread and, thus, mistyped the command that johnson suggested you try . . . It is ls , a lower case "el" and a lower case "es".

Well the good news it seems to work (attachment below)

The bad news is that there seems to be something wrong with the modem, it's the second time now since I've gotten it that it just drops completely with only like 2 lights working and I can't even connect to the webUI and have to physically restart it. This modem has a lot of good reviews though, maybe it's faulty?

DareDev1L

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 01:51:28 AM »

Hi, I updated my firmware (it was in its earliest version) so hopefully that fixes the dropouts.

So I experimented a bit more with ls and seems there's a lot more in there, I just can't figure out the commands to access them. Google as always, is no help.

Think any of these might help me out with what I was trying to do in my initial post? Thanks :)

EDIT: Also it allows me to go into root mode as well, but get the feeling I would be entering dangerous territory without knowing what commands to use.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 01:54:25 AM by DareDev1L »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 11:15:36 AM »

Root isn't generally dangerous on routers/modems as there is very limited write access.  So unless you actually do something crazy like issue the command to wipe the NAND (not something you are likely to do accidentally), a factory reset should always bring you back if you mess up the configuration somehow.  If in doubt, don't touch anything in /dev unless you know what you are doing. ;)

Does "help" being anything up now?  What's in /sbin?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:21:37 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

DareDev1L

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 11:49:56 AM »

Root isn't generally dangerous on routers/modems as there is very limited write access.  So unless you actually do something crazy like issue the command to wipe the NAND (not something you are likely to do accidentally), a factory reset should always bring you back if you mess up the configuration somehow.  If in doubt, don't touch anything in /dev unless you know what you are doing. ;)

Does "help" being anything up now?  What's in /sbin?
:D no worries, I will make sure not to wipe the NAND where possible  ;D

"help" doesn't give me info in ssh for some reason while it does on telnet, which I provided earlier in a screenshot. Here's what I found in /sbin.

Thanks for the replies so far guys don't know what I'd do without you, I've been spending plenty a buck on finding routers where I can attempt to tweak, reason being I compete in esports so the stability and decreased pings really benefit me, something if I mention to any ISP here about "ping" they immediately respond with the script stating they do "not support online gaming". Information I did get is that fast path/interleaving is set to automatic, and I've seen people here gain fast path through tweaking of their modems on reddit. It appears everything is done through the DLAM which decides your interleaving with stability, so I am attempting to keep my connection from resyncing as much as possible in order to allow the DLAM to push it down over time, I have about 1702 interleaving according to my previous routers which seems incredibly high considering I don't have any packet loss or ES according to my previous routers. Unfortunately this router doesn't tell me anything through normal means, but I did recently purchase it and hope the modem doesn't go to complete waste.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 04:47:14 PM »

Look in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin

DareDev1L

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 05:41:27 PM »

Look in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin

It allows me to enter root, but those commands seem to require "super root" according to Google  :'(

Think it's something I am able to force?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 06:40:58 PM »

I meant do "ls /usr/sbin"

Anyway, from looking the contents of a firmware image, the most obvious DSL related command is xdsl_cli - but from a very quick look through the strings in that file, I did not see any indication that it can do what you want.

DareDev1L

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 07:19:13 PM »

I meant do "ls /usr/sbin"

Anyway, from looking the contents of a firmware image, the most obvious DSL related command is xdsl_cli - but from a very quick look through the strings in that file, I did not see any indication that it can do what you want.

Oh my bad, here it is in attachment below.

Also really? That's too bad  =/

Thanks anyway!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 08:19:46 PM »

You missed the slashes so its showing /usr /bin /usr /sbin not /usr/bin /usr/sbin ;)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

DareDev1L

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 12:41:09 PM »

You missed the slashes so its showing /usr /bin /usr /sbin not /usr/bin /usr/sbin ;)

I've done that a few posts ago where it gave me permission denied because of super root  :D
Pages: [1] 2

anything