Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTPoD Quote  (Read 6291 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: FTTPoD Quote
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 10:05:07 PM »

I don't blame you, I've often wondered how much it would cost for us, but likewise its not worth it gven what we have.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 10:14:53 PM »

Are you connected by virgin? (noticed your speeds in your signature)
There is a lot of going on with Vodafone in Aberdeen which is their first roll out with cityfibre but I don't think they will come out as far as where I live. Basically in the city boundaries of Aberdeenshire.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 06:14:03 AM »

Yes we're with Virgin on their top package just to get decent upload speeds. It's much more expensive than VDSL but although only being 450 meters from the cab we got around 47 & 6mbps so as soon as Virgins fibre went live we took it.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 09:19:12 AM »

I can see why you did.
450m isn't that much. Is there aluminium on the line?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2019, 10:19:40 AM »

An engineer measured the distance from the records, but unfortunately as he wasn't local he could not access the make up of the line, but we highly suspect there is aluminum in there. Add to that it was an ECI cabinet although it does now have a Huawei twin, so I may get better speeds from that, but it's actually a bit further away due to where they installed it.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 07:32:57 PM »

Sounds like everything was against your BT line. I'm not surprised you jumped to Virgin. Out of interest, how do you find it compared to BT (Not including raw speed)? Things like ping, reliability etc?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 06:16:43 AM »

Apart from the speed fluctuations VDSL that was very reliable. Roughly half the year I was interleaved, other half was on fast path.

Never had a problem with Virgin, going by my TBB ping monitor the ping is about the same as when I was interleaved on VDSL.

General browsing is no different, but downloads and uploads are notably quicker. Our area is brand new full fibre to the house.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 10:03:47 AM »

I also made some enquiries into FTTPoD last year after the "price cuts" but after reading accounts online quickly realised its not a realistic proposition, it does not scale well with multiple VDSL lines either imho.  Instead I got two phone lines on FTTC so I get around 130 Mb down and 40 Mb up for around £80/month.

If the install costs came down to less than a grand and the rental was less than £80/month then maybe, plus the information on Openreach website seems weirdly unrelated to reality and is super-misleading - clearly not intended for Joe Normal like me.  Some of the actual install quotes I have seen online that people have received are huge, £10k plus but the actual install costs are much often lower.

I think the ISP's and suppliers are deliberately holding us back because they are making lots of money selling us an inferior service, I think having domestic customers bandwidth constrained by their phone lines suits the industry as it takes all the pressure off their infrastructure

Grumpy signing off

C

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 10:14:41 AM »

plus the information on Openreach website seems weirdly unrelated to reality and is super-misleading - clearly not intended for Joe Normal like me.

It's weirdly unrelated to reality because those are the rates ISPs are charged, they then add their costs and profit on top.

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 10:38:26 AM »

It's weirdly unrelated to reality because those are the rates ISPs are charged, they then add their costs and profit on top.
Aha! that makes sense

C

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2019, 10:03:00 AM »

Instead I got two phone lines on FTTC so I get around 130 Mb down and 40 Mb up for around £80/month.

But for someone who's willing to pay the installation costs of FTTPoD, the 330/30 FTTPoD service is only £100 or so per month. So for an extra £20 pm you're getting more than double the download speed :)

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2019, 09:13:51 PM »

Sure, I think if / once the installation costs come down in a few years it will make a lot of sense, and to some people who are happy to pay up front then I am sure its great!

Its just a tiny bit out of my reach right now :)

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2019, 04:52:02 PM »

I just got an email for my estimate which comes in at £26,000 ex VAT.
I requested a quote more for interest that as an actual prospect.  Effectively no bid "Estimated Build Cost: Unable to offer an estimate using desk survey tools. Onsite survey required to confirm charges" and Openreach estimate that the distance to the fibre aggregation node serving your premises is 3000 - 4999m."

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2019, 05:12:59 PM »

They originally quoted £39k for properties like yours.
Now they just don't give a quote at all.

With the Agg Node being so far away (3-5km) then any final build cost would likely be huge.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM
Pages: 1 [2]