Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FTTPoD Quote  (Read 6289 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
FTTPoD Quote
« on: March 14, 2019, 07:50:41 PM »

Just thought I would leave this here.

We have now received the estimate of the charges from BT. These are detailed below.

Estimated Build Cost: £12,000.00 ex VAT   

The build charge includes the estimate for the work and materials required to deliver the service. It also includes the connection charge.

Number of premises passed for FTTP: 18

Please note that this is an estimated price based on network records. Openreach are not always able to provide an estimate in this way and a full survey may be required. Installation charges are only confirmed by a full survey once you place an order for the service.

Openreach estimate that the distance to the fibre aggregation node serving your premises is 1000 - 1499m. The distance to the aggregation node will have an effect on the installation price.

The build estimate includes a reduction for the number of premises passed as these would be able to obtain FTTP as a consequence of your build. Customers at these premises may submit a linked FTTPoD order to share the construction costs.

I'm now wondering where on the earth the node is, cabinet is about 200-250m away.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:52:42 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

michty_me

• Reg Member
Re: FTTPoD Quote
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 09:01:18 PM »

How do you go about getting a quote?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 12:32:16 AM »

Just thought I would leave this here.

I'm now wondering where on the earth the node is, cabinet is about 200-250m away.
The node is somewhere...  ;D But it can be much, much further away than your cabinet is. Funnily enough, distance and cost don't seem to correlate that well. My estimate I had was a bit more than yours, but there was no mention of distance on mine (in hindsight, I should have asked to satisfy any future curiosity).

How do you go about getting a quote?
I do not know who Alex used to get a quote, but there are three that I know of:
I have a feeling that FluidOne is or was for businesses only. Not sure anymore.

Bear in mind, the estimated build cost really is just an estimate that feels like it has been picked out of a hat sometimes. In order to get an accurate figure, you need to pay what I believe to be £250 exc. VAT for a survey (unless you choose to go ahead, then the survey charge will be deducted from the Excess Construction Charges).

I believe the information I have provided to be correct, unless something has changed since I last checked FTTPoD.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 06:41:19 AM »

I've requested a quote from Cerberus so we will see what happens with that.
@Alex, There is a thread (Possibly not on here) that has a list of estimates vs desktop quotes. The vast majority of these quotes come in a lot lower than the estimate but as Reo states will cost £250+ to go to the desktop quote.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 11:08:38 AM »

That's the one.
Thanks Ronski for linking it.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 12:45:18 PM »

I spoke with Rob at Amvia earlier who was a very helpful person.
He talked about the desktop quotes which progresses to desktop then on with the monthly costs.
I didn't realise that once it was installed you also had to pay approx £150 per month for service for the first year then you are free to go down to FTTP native prices.
I told him not to continue after this was explained as I didn't want to waste his time further for the sake of it.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 12:56:37 PM »

I'll add my desktop quote I got back in early February as a comparison. I'm waiting for the full survey to be done.

We have now received the estimate of the charges from BT. These are detailed below.

Estimated Build Cost: £11,800.00 ex VAT   

The build charge includes the estimate for the work and materials required to deliver the service. It also includes the connection charge.

Number of premises passed for FTTP: 18

Please note that this is an estimated price based on network records. Openreach are not always able to provide an estimate in this way and a full survey may be required. Installation charges are only confirmed by a full survey once you place an order for the service.

Openreach estimate that the distance to the fibre aggregation node serving your premises is 400 - 599m. The distance to the aggregation node will have an effect on the installation price.

The build estimate includes a reduction for the number of premises passed as these would be able to obtain FTTP as a consequence of your build. Customers at these premises may submit a linked FTTPoD order to share the construction costs.

It's interesting the price is around the same but they are estimating the node is 400 - 599m away from me, which is about the distance to my cabinet.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 01:05:49 PM »

There must be a fair amount of enquiries for FTTP as Amvia said I was the 8th requesting a quote from them in the space of a couple of hours.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 03:20:28 PM »

There must be a fair amount of enquiries for FTTP as Amvia said I was the 8th requesting a quote from them in the space of a couple of hours.

I think at the moment OR are only carrying out 20 orders across all ISP's per month.

In April its expected to increase to 100 orders across all ISP's per month.

I think OR under estimated how many people want FTTP and how much they are willing to pay for it.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 03:30:03 PM »

Yes, I seem to recall reading something along the lines of only so many lines across all ISP's.
I agree, If it were cheaper, I think there would be a huge interest for people funding the install themselves.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 09:16:12 PM »

I'll add my desktop quote I got back in early February as a comparison. I'm waiting for the full survey to be done.

It's interesting the price is around the same but they are estimating the node is 400 - 599m away from me, which is about the distance to my cabinet.

I have a rough idea of where the ducting is, short of blocked ducts there should be very little if any digging required.  My house is fed from a pole which also should make things easier I believe.

I wont be going ahead of course, its unlikely to be worth it even if the node was literally outside my house.  Could have 3-4 VDSL lines for the monthly cost of FTTPoD alone.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 05:19:52 PM »

I just got an email for my estimate which comes in at £26,000 ex VAT.
Number of premises passed is 8.
Aggregation node is 400-599M which is similar to the distance Zen said my copper run was from the cab at 501m.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 08:02:52 PM »

Ouch  :o Are you going to get a full survey on the off chance the estimate is widely out?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 08:11:08 PM »

Na, I think I'll pass. I wouldn't go ahead with it anyway. Would rather just chuck the £250+ at some new computer components.
I'm happy with what I have, it was more of a curiosity thing for me.
Pages: [1] 2

anything