Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is that G.Fast?  (Read 6823 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
Is that G.Fast?
« on: March 13, 2019, 03:25:39 PM »

I saw this morning there was openreach has installed new pod fitted to the street cabinet pcp (8) as these are my cabinet. I have asked them is that g.fast but they refused to tell me anything. I just checked DSL Checker there is no metion of G.Fast for my cabinet.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Is that G.Fast?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 03:28:29 PM »

Yes, Max. That is a G.Fast pod equipped with Huawei electronics.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 05:17:49 PM »

OR have definately picked up pace with adding pods.

I noticed if you look on roadworks at OR jobs the code does have GFAST in, like someone else mentioned. It's usually listed as a re-shelling job.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:16:18 PM »

100% Huawei G.fast.

See if it sits idle for as long as the ones near here have - 20 months and counting. :lol:

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 11:04:45 PM »

>:( :( I don't want G.Fast. I want FTTP. Damn u Openreach.
Beggers can't be choosers. If you want more speed and don't have the money to fund for full fibre, then it looks like you'll have to take G.fast.

See if it sits idle for as long as the ones near here have - 20 months and counting. :lol:
Some in my area appear to have been enabled in around 6 months. Though, one of the first to be fitted still isn't enabled. Mine wasn't the last to be fitted, but I would wager there is a good chance it will be the last to be enabled.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 12:01:34 AM »

That's would be waste of time g.fast by the way if it never active

Given the nature of the area I understand the G.fast never going live and the relatively new ducting being used instead for FTTP is a consideration. The 2nd largest cabinet of the 4 can't have G.fast, 2 of the other 4 are small, BDUK cabinets with pods because it's a pilot exchange.

There's a pocket of FTTP close to the point where a splitter node is closer to us than our PCP, and is actually in the same chamber as our copper path.

It's an odd set of events so don't get your hopes up for a change of heart in your area, though. Just thought I should explain as leaving it there does indeed seem pointless.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 12:28:20 AM »

Can G.Fast pods go either side of the PCP? Seem as though they are put on the right in the pics. Only reason I ask, is the PCP that I’m on has a lamppost fairly close to it.

https://goo.gl/maps/zGHSDonf5Hy

Not sure if it can be squeezed in on the right, plenty of room on the left though. Did see a barrier at the front of it on the way back, so might be a pod attached at some point. Nothing on roadworks.org, but it was reshelled a while ago.

Edit: Slightly off topic, but what would be under the 3 cover chamber that appears to have been trenched from when the fibre cab was put in? Copper bundle? Agg node?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 12:36:03 AM by Jon21 »

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 12:40:07 AM »

It's not matter if it was either left or right side of the cabinet whatever it fit in.

Thanks Max. Just seen an article on TBB showing the pod on the left of a PCP.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 01:30:48 AM »

I just saw someone posted on BT Forum as it seem my upcoming G.Fast are a waste of time because mine is approx 250m away. But his forum reply are spot on right of why I don't want G.Fast in the first place.
So you're saying you wouldn't want approx. 150 Mbps? It's faster than the approx. 76 Mbps you're getting now, almost twice as fast.

And how do you know that your experience will be the same as theirs? Do you know your line length, as opposed to approximation from distance? Do you know what gauge the cabling is, whether it is copper or aluminium?

Yes, we'd all prefer FTTP/H/B, and a lot of us on the forum know that G.fast deeper in the network or VDSL 35b would be better. But you're moaning about something you don't want whenever you have the opportunity to, and that something can actually benefit you without you spending a single penny to put the technology in place (you just pay to have the service provided - what a time to be alive). If the faster speeds of G.fast won't benefit you, then what purpose would a full fibre connection really serve you with?

I do not disagree with you in some ways, since the technology is basically useless at a distance especially with VDSL co-existence. Upstream suffers greatly as well approaching 300m, ranges dropping below what VDSL can provide - I can see that as being a deterrent for people at these distances. But I would suggest waiting for it to be enabled and actually checking estimates before writing it off, even though this could take half a year (if not more, if you are unfortunate).

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 01:44:10 AM »

line length is 248m according to PN GEA Test
The GEA test is still an estimate, but should be a somewhat reliable figure to go on.

I don't know if it copper or aluminium on my master socket?
There is no way for you to know, unless you know someone in the know (OR engineer who knows the area).

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 02:50:32 AM »

Updated: I have spoken to Openreach via email and the good news that my cabinet 8 with g.fast will go live by next 8-12 weeks as they just awaiting to do five more cabinets in my area Cabinet 9, 7, 13, 1 and 6 but also saying FTTP is only available nuplace new houses in my area, Dawley, St.Georges and Madeley.
At least Openreach gave you a better (shorter) timeframe than they did me. I might give it another pop since other pods in my area have been live for a short while.

But the bad news is: PN will not offer g.fast service for the time being. So, I won't bother then.
I know you saw that article on the forum where Plusnet had a G.fast page (and it is a shame nobody cached it somewhere). Perhaps they might be soon be offering it. But there is no harm at looking at other ISPs, unless PN have something specific you want. :)

Edit: Sorry, just realised that you made that article. :-[
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 02:55:05 AM by re0 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 10:19:25 AM »

Updated: I have spoken to Openreach via email...

I'll stop reading from that point given your previous emails from OpenReach were completely made up.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 06:00:14 PM »

Did this come to you in a dream or is it real?

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 06:54:30 PM »

I really don't understand this at all. Neither on here or on Think Broadband.

Fantasist.  ???

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 08:15:16 PM »

Doesn't like G.fast, but somehow it is a fantasy to post with presumably fabricated estimates??? :-\ No way in hell is this active already.

Max, you've got a lot to answer for. ;D
Pages: [1] 2

anything