Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: High Errors?  (Read 4667 times)

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: High Errors?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 07:18:22 AM »

Couldn't you simply command your modem to resync (or reboot it) and restore the speed right now?

So that's the third time it's dropped this low in what, three months?

Couldn't it be due to some short burst of noise from something external that will be difficult to track down and wouldn't even be Openreach's responsibility to do anything about?

Have you considered the possibility that the reason you're having such great difficulty getting this fixed is because there's nothing that anyone would consider an actual problem? Rather than the usual reasoning that it's not getting fixed because every single person at Openreach is lazy incompetent useless etc.?

Edit: I missed that the stats look rate capped.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 02:05:39 PM by ejs »

Alucidnation

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 07:54:36 AM »

Just in case you struggle to read properly...

Openreach and even the engineers themselves have admitted there is a problem.

And each one, i have had to explain form the start what has been done before - not one of them had any previous notes from previous visits.

One would assume that with the amount of technology they use, a simple update to the engineer tasked with job would be easy to do.

Just for you here is what has happened so far.

First engineer, didn't even test the socket, said he was going back to the cabinet to reset - nothing happened

next - asked why faceplate wasn't changed - did a joint in chamber - marginal improvement

Next - replaced other joints - mild improvement

Next - traced a fault in a chamber - repaired.

Next - went to perform L&S, didn't do it.

Next - specifically tasked with L&S - also confirmed last L&S wasn't done - was at the cabinet for around three hours - told me lift and shift was done - resync back at 65. Ran fine for the day with no errors. - next morning resyned back down again.

Next engineer turned up - confirmed lift and shift wasn't done as they thought they had sorted the fault without doing it.

Next - tested - confirmed bad joint in pavement - applied for dig.

Engineer came with dig team - repaired joint - still the same.

Next - confirmed problem with cable from there to my house - put in for a new cable to be installed.

Next - come to measure up and mark out - he said not convinced - found fault half way between first repair and the chamber - order previous joint to be dug up - to test between my house and the chamber each way.

Next dig team arrived and opened up hole again - engineer didnt show.

Next - new dig team arrived to fill hole - told them nothing had been done - another engineer turned up and repaired cable from hole - chamber - also found previous engineer had performed a bad repair and was losing sync before he even disconnected it.

Next - came to do L&S - looked at the BRAG - confirmed there was a problem and was going to start at the cabinet and work back to my house from there. - Line went down for 20 mins. - four/five hours later had to go to work - pulled out and saw him parked at end of road. went back in drive to park up and chat to him about how it was going - he had disappeared.

Same one came back - looked sheepish - had his head down chamber - was performing 'advanced testing' - left - still the same.

Engineer due yesterday - didn't turn up.

Confirmed engineer for this morning.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 08:22:43 AM »

No i agree, but then things like this happen, like this morning..

Sorry if you have mentioned elsewhere, but do you have vectoring? I do, and with modems with this chipset get resyns without a router reboot at less than half speed. A modified firmware can fix it.

Just in case you struggle to read properly...

I understand these things are frustrating, but no need to be rude. From a person just coming to this thread you seem to be quite angry for someone who is getting a significant amount of work done by openreach to hunt down a fault. I have 26 down and 1.2 up... 1200kbps, I dream of being able to get openreach to start digging holes to fix it.

Alucidnation

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 08:42:00 AM »

Sorry if you have mentioned elsewhere, but do you have vectoring? I do, and with modems with this chipset get resyns without a router reboot at less than half speed. A modified firmware can fix it.

I understand these things are frustrating, but no need to be rude. From a person just coming to this thread you seem to be quite angry for someone who is getting a significant amount of work done by openreach to hunt down a fault. I have 26 down and 1.2 up... 1200kbps, I dream of being able to get openreach to start digging holes to fix it.

At the moment i am running a Zyxel 1312 B10A purely to use DSL stats for monitoring according to the stats its says G.Vector: disabled.

As i have said, my ISP, OR & BTW have said there is a problem.

If i was making things up, all of them would have shut this down a long time ago.

And the previous poster is known for getting upset when anyone has a problem or says anything bad about OR.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 11:51:21 AM »

That's not necessarily a faulty port.
That's either DLM banding or a manually applied cap.

The SNRM is way up and the sync is exactly 25Mb.
Upstream looks the same.

The line has High interleaving on the downstream and interleaving on the upstream.

As i have said, my ISP, OR & BTW have said there is a problem.

No idea what sync on FTTC has to do with BTw.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alucidnation

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2019, 11:55:46 AM »

That's not necessarily a faulty port.
That's either DLM banding or a manually applied cap.

The SNRM is way up and the sync is exactly 25Mb.
Upstream looks the same.

The line has High interleaving on the downstream and interleaving on the upstream.

No idea what sync on FTTC has to do with BTw.

Only what I have been told.

BTW supply the service and appointments are booked through them as far as I was aware.

As I said, I don’t know why dlm has intervened as the last couple of days it has been stable ish

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 02:07:19 PM »

Alucidnation

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 02:37:52 PM »

Indeed.

Just as well they didn’t.

:D

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 03:07:14 PM »

I'm still not convinced there was much of a problem right at the start, but later, after Openreach had done various stuff, I think there was at least one time when the total so far of whatever had been done had made things worse (unless all the stuff Openreach did was irrelevant to the issue and the issue got worse on its own). I'm not sure it would be in quite this mess had things been left well alone at the start.

Alucidnation

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2019, 05:05:37 PM »

Last engineer ran a temporary cable from the chamber (getting around 70) to my house to eliminate the cable in the ground.

Measured at the other end of the temp cable by the house and got around 68.

As he measured up to get the cable replaced, checked his meter again and  after 10 mins speed had dropped to just under 60.

Went to cabinet, checked there all ok.

Transpires, some joints were not checked back to the cabinet so is coming back Monday to redo these.

Alucidnation

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2019, 09:15:55 AM »

Well it now seems to be all sorted.

Engineer did a lift and shift, reset dlm and sync back to 69.

Still getting a reasonable amount of errors but not enough to worry dlm.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2019, 09:22:21 AM »

Surprised they done all what they have done for the sake of 8Mbps (assuming that was the low going from your stats on page 1)

Alucidnation

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2019, 09:48:33 AM »

It wasn’t  just that.

I Was getting random disconnections and speeds dropping to under 50 regularly.

Initially thought it was the old Openreach modem but was still happening after that was replaced.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2019, 09:50:31 AM »

Hopefully it is resolved now  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]

anything