Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bluetooth headphones with iOS  (Read 5018 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Bluetooth headphones with iOS
« on: March 10, 2019, 07:15:12 AM »

I use Bluetooth headphones with my iPad. The while process of diverting sound to them seems unnecessarily fiddly and I wondered if others experience the same. I have to swipe downwards on the right hand part of the screen to obtain a set of control panel icons for things likebrightness up/down and volume up/down. In that set there is a thing for headphones on/off. I select it, but it doesn’t work, sound is still emitted through the iPad’s internal speakers. (What can’t they fix that?) I have to go to the main Settings > Bluetooth and hit an option there in order to get the headphones to work.

What a pain.

I wonder if others have the same experience? Is there a better way of doing this, so that I can just divert sound one way or the other with one click?

<rant>Using Siri like this is pretty silly. Siri outputs her voice through the headphones when I am no longer wearing them and have put them down on a table - because I have forgotten to divert sound output when I finished using the headphones. There has to be a sane alternative. One way would be to just output Siri audio to both devices all the time, at least as an option, in case where the user does not want Siri to be overheard by others nearby. With dual output, it wo:uld always ‘ just work’ for me, with no hassle. Maybe some future hardware and software developments could  support a protocol to tell the o/s that the user had taken the headphones off if the headphones had  a ‘wearer state’ detection mechanism, provided by simple hardware, and wearer state could report this back to the o/s.</rant>

Westie

• Kitizen
Re: Bluetooth headphones with iOS
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 09:53:00 PM »

Does Siri still try to talk through the headphones if you switch them off when you put them dowm?

Deathstar

• Reg Member
Bluetooth headphones with iOS
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 09:48:21 AM »

Mine connect automatically without manual intervention when turned on.
They are Phillips SHB8750NC
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 12:47:48 PM »

Hi Weaver

Have to say my Jabra headset connects automatically ( both iPad and iPhone) I don’t need to do anything other than turn the headset on.

Tony
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 01:16:27 PM »

Just to be clear, at the headphones’ end, they are turned on, I’m not pressing the button (usually) on the headphones.

Westie

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 10:03:23 PM »

I believe that if you leave bluetooth switched on at the iPad and the headphones 'paired' with it, Siri will talk through the headphones whether you are wearing them or not.

If, however, you use the button on the headphones to turn them off when you stop wearing them, and turn them (the headphones) back on when you want to use them again, I would think that the iPad would use the internal speakers when the headphones are switched off, but automatically direct sound output to the headphones when you switched them on again. The only drawback is that the iPad would be constantly scanning bluetooth for the headphones even when they are switched off.

I don't use Siri, and I'm still on iOS 10, so I'm only guessing.

This may not be what you want to do anyway...

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 10:13:29 PM »

I would rather leave the iPad connected to the headphones all the time and so the headphones on of course, and just wish that the little iOS UI control panel button -whatever it’s called - would do the right thing.

What happens to you when you use that little UI button?

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 11:07:48 PM »

Hi

@westie your correct

@weaver - how would it detect when wearing/not wearing and is it worth the investment to make it happen

On the UI, you could just turn off/turn on Bluetooth and it would work as you want

On iPhone sweep up, touch Bluetooth icon turn off/on Bluetooth

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 12:06:32 AM »

@d2d4j could use tension in the headband in my case, or proximity sensors in the earphones. The former would be very cheap to do. It might be a nice differentiating feature, something for the marketing dept "smart on-off" headphones, I don’t know - leave it to the guys with pink glasses and floppy hair (or no hair?)

Could alternatively also sense the orientation of the headphones - mine are rotated when I take them off, unless I hang them on a hook on the wall.

As to whether anyone would go for it I don’t know. People seem so desperate-look at the Apple fingerprint reader for example; very expensive, and unnecessary. Ditto face id. Just desperate for something new.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 12:17:08 AM »

I rarely wear headphones, but I don’t think I would like “auto wear detect”.

For example, I do sometimes wear them when travelling.   But if I were to momentarily pull them slightly away from my ear so that I could discuss whatever beverages the air hostess was offering me, and the iPad were to deduce I no longer wanted private audio, would fellow passengers thank me for the sudden barage of noise from iPad’s speakers?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 06:32:00 AM »

@7LM - it would very much have to be a configurable option, in the choice of its resultant iOS behaviour, not just an enable/disable thing. Absolutely agree with you.

With the low-level feature you could at least have the choice. Generating an event is one thing and what you do with it is entirely another.

Also maybe a timeout option would be useful too, so that taking them off temporarily would be handled differently.

Actually taking the headphones off producing a notification event might be useful in that such an event could (optionally) pause something that you were listening to.

anything