Computers & Hardware > PC Hardware

SSD about to completely die I think, is not a TLC or cheapo brand

<< < (2/4) > >>

Chrysalis:
if anything m.2 reduces reliability as they run hotter.  As ronski said its likely similar nand chips been used.

sevenlayermuddle:
My money’s on the Sata cable being the problem.

You might think that a cable lying undisturbed, providing it worked to begin with, would continue to work.   But my own experience is to the contrary, I have known more than one apparently good Sata cables to mysteriously degrade over time, giving rise to prolific errors after a while.

Good luck, hope I’m right. :)

parkdale:
I think it would Sata cable as well having experienced a couple in the past mainly due to bad contacts, the other is using removable drive bays :-X had a couple in the past that failed after a few years giving intermittent results :( but taking the affected drives out and connecting straight to to mother board solved the problem...

banger:
How old is the SSD Chrys?

Chrysalis:
older than 2014 when the 840 was released.

its used 6% of its rated erase cycles.  (sorry isnt under 5% as I thought).

However there is what I learnt a set of nand where certian system data is held on the ssd that cannot be moved around for wear levelling and these cells dont show in the erase cycles stats, so its possible if the ssd is about to die this is the reason.

The sata cable is plausible, it was removed and reused when the board and cpu got swapped out a couple of weeks ago, and then repeatedly swapped in and out with another ssd as I was doing some bare metal windows stuff that I used another ssd to boot from.  It now has a brand new cable and the new cable also has a clip whilst the old one didnt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version