Computers & Hardware > PC Hardware

SSD about to completely die I think, is not a TLC or cheapo brand

<< < (4/4)

Chrysalis:
since cable swap drive has been fine so far

risk_reversal:
Late to this thread but Ultra ATA CRC errors are usually down to the cable. This thread provides other reasons tho' and maybe useful to readers.

https://superuser.com/questions/1294158/what-may-cause-very-high-crc-errors-on-ssd-apart-from-bad-sata-cables-if-any

I must admit that I have over the past year or so swapped most of my boot drives to SSds (Samsung) and I am concerned by the fact that SSDs can and will brick without any warning and unlike traditional HDDs once they brick it is virtually impossible to retrieve data.

As a consequence, I now back up my boot drive(s) very much more often and am using a belt and braces approach as regards disk monitoring by way of using paying drive monitoring software. I use HDSentinel Standard and HDTune Pro.

I had never purchased this type of software pre SSD but am pleased that I have then now.

HDSentinel in particular is truly excellent. I got two licenses during Black Friday deals last year for £18. I am sorry that I didn't purchase that particular software earlier.

Cheers 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version