Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VDSL2 Forcing a profile Interleaved/Fast Path  (Read 3406 times)

DareDev1L

VDSL2 Forcing a profile Interleaved/Fast Path
« on: March 07, 2019, 06:17:15 PM »

Hi,

I wasn't sure where to ask this question, as there's no forum that seems to be specific to VDSL that I can find.

Right, so I've been researching for a while and it's a bit complicated so bear with me, I've gotten sort of desperate at this point. My ISP has both Interleaved and Fast path as profiles that's in the system. I concluded this from multiple cases and words by the ISP themselves. The ISP claims the system is set to automatic, and they can not and will not set it manually to Fast Path (they also told me the only way it can be done is from the router, or one customer support representative told me). There have been multiple people on reddit over the past year who provided screenshots that with the ISP's previous router they were able to tell the router via telnet to force it to fast path, which has been done by multiple people. Unfortunately this router is no longer sold anywhere, and the new Huawei router has custom firmware by the ISP that completely locks up telnet and nothing on the web GUI is useful at all.

So I guess my question is, knowing there's a way to tell the router to switch profiles, am I doomed to only be able to with that old router that isn't sold anymore, or will any proper router with CLI or telnet access be able to force it? Do I have any options or should I just give up?

Thanks and sorry for the wall of text!

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
Re: VDSL2 Forcing a profile Interleaved/Fast Path
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 07:05:22 PM »

It is automatic and controlled by the DLM system. You can't force it from your router. :(

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 08:02:04 PM »

What ISP? Are we talking about FTTC in the United Kingdom?

DareDev1L

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 05:03:35 AM »

It is automatic and controlled by the DLM system. You can't force it from your router. :(

Well that's sort of the thing, the ISP has the profiles available, it's just a matter of switching it, at least it was on the old ZTE router. Here's a quote from a reddit post:

"if you have ZTE ZXHN H168N V3.1 with ssh access hit this command

wan vdsl2 set manual_pms on"

I was wondering if there were other routers with this sort of freedom or if it has to be the specified one in the main topic.

What ISP? Are we talking about FTTC in the United Kingdom?

Unfortunately no, I live outside of the UK which is why my ISP isn't specified, though my issue is mostly related to what routers I should purchase that has ssh access or more freedom with telnet and if it should work the same.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone :)