Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Line stuck at 26mb  (Read 6059 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Line stuck at 26mb
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 08:49:40 PM »

Could you point me in the direction of what you read to see there is a fault? guessing something to do with the SNR margin the draytek displays? this morning i plugged the router into my sky line, just to see the difference. it is attached below.

The speed on your second line is much lower than the handback threshold stated on the DSLChecker. This could indicate a line problem, poor Openreach records or poor internal wiring. You confirmed that there is no extension wiring thus ruling that out and its unlikely to be poor OR records especially as you have another line performing much better from the same cabinet.

You have a Huawei FTTC DSLAM. These initially target a SNR of 6 both upstream and downstream to ensure a stable connection (the downstream SNR might then reduce to as low as 3 as is the case with your Sky line)

The maximum attainable speeds estimated by your modem on the 2nd line are close to your sync speed and showing a SNR of 6 - hence showing its doing as much as it can given the current line. If DLM had artificially reduced your sync speed to ensure a stable connection than your SNR figures would be higher - this is not the case - hence not thinking a DLM reset would help.

As such, its likely to be a wiring issue/line fault of some kind - especially as its a new installation. It could be you're just unlucky re: the quality of the new line but the fact its maximum sync speed is far below OR's expectations gives you leverage to get the ISP to get an engineer to investigate.

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 11:27:46 AM »

Openreach just been, said he can see a small fault on the line but it is unlikely to be causing the slow sync speed. He is going to fix that now and come back.

he said as i had a new line put in, it may just be an unlucky case of a bad wire that is left over in the pavement as most of them (if not all) are in use across the estate so they used whatever they could to get the new line in.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2019, 11:37:49 AM »

It sounds like it has a bad fault, or it takes a considerably longer route to the cabinet.

Ask him to try another pair? or a port swap?

Your absolute minimum guaranteed rate is 50Mb but it should really be getting between 60-80Mb.

I wouldn't be accepting kind of fob off about being unlucky with damaged wires under pavements.
Stop making excuses and fix my connection!
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 12:12:32 PM »

he does seem the fob off type... at first he said it was because i was only provisioned 40/10 and 26ish is about right for that. he didnt have an answer when i said my sky synced at 39999/9999 when it was 40/10.

almost certain it takes the same route to the cabinet as my sky line, goes into the same shielded cable at the end of my drive in the ground. it is a small ish village so would imagine there is mostly only a single route these things take.

(the reason i am on 40/10 is i really don't want interleaving, so was going to see how stable/error prone it was before upping to 80/20).

with the kickback threshold, is that where i can keep demanding they fix until that speed is achieved or i have the right to cancel because it is not achieved?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2019, 01:07:48 PM »

Yes you can, but often they refuse and simply let you leave without charge, which they must do if they can't reach the handback.

You could then try another ISP who will be willing to insist OpenReach try correct this.

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2019, 02:32:43 PM »

to be fair to the guy he went away for a few hours and has come back and has said almost all the cables are in use that run around under the pavement but he is trying to find the best pair of ones not in use. is currently out there now in the wind/rain so keeping him stocked with biscuits and coffee to keep him on side!

he said the issue he can detect is somewhere between me and the local cabinet, hopefully he can find another pair!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 05:09:01 PM by spaace »

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2019, 04:42:37 PM »

He has connected my on a different spare wire he has found in the pavement, results below.

still not as fast as the Sky one (obviously on a 40/10 provision but the attainable rate is lower?)

are those stats ok?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2019, 05:41:36 PM »

A considerable improvement.

I find it a little worrying that he didn't reset the DLM after doing so many tests which I would assume involves multiple resyncs on the line.

Retx is applied so the max attainable would only increase if you upgraded to 80/20 and DLM lowered the SNRM target.
That should hopefully see the line achieve around 67Mb (maybe a Mb or 2 either side of that).

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2019, 06:10:24 PM »

i thought that about the DLM reset, it usually goes to interleave for 48 hours after a reset? Still on fast so can't have done it. my router hasnt been plugged in all day, we unplugged it when he arrived to do his testing and he has not plugged it back in until he was finished/asked to test it. will ensure not to turn the router off to trigger anything!

oh that is nice to know about the attainable going up, i get 69mb on the sky line downstairs so by your calculations they would be almost identical (and presume optimal for my location?)

thanks for your input, much appreciated.

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2019, 08:18:57 PM »

got my line regraded to 80/20 today after the 40/10 seemed rock solid and no errors, noticed a lot of FECS errors since the regrade, is this something to do with interleaving being reapplied? (seems to be applied for 48hours or so after an upgrade). are they anything to worry about? they seem to be creeping up constantly. key for me is fastpath!

guess the speed will creep up from 48mb over the coming days

stats attached.

Pages: 1 2 [3]