Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Line stuck at 26mb  (Read 6109 times)

spaace

• Reg Member
Re: Line stuck at 26mb
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 09:07:30 PM »

not sure if at all relevant but this is my sky router stats. goes into the same big cable in the pavement. the only difference is how it gets to the pavement (new line is in a new duct, the sky one is the original underground one that appears from my garage floor). almost certain both lines follow the same path to the same cab (as it is sky the dslchecker does not work)

how do you read sky stats when there are 3 of them?

vultura

• Reg Member
  • ECI Cabinet Afflicted
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 09:22:51 PM »

CLI is 0116****** :)

there are numerous cul-de-sacs here, i beleive it loops down, around and back up, up to the next etc all the way. Luckily i am on the cabinet side of second cul-de-sac so could be worse

I would suggest editing your phone number, as forum is publically viewable and you may well end up some spam/scam list.
Has anyone seen my signature, it seems to have disappeared, along with Openreach turning on G.INP on ECI cabinets ever again.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 10:38:25 PM »

I would suggest editing your phone number, as forum is publically viewable and you may well end up some spam/scam list.

One push of a paw on the right button and the deed is done.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 10:39:43 PM »

One push of a paw on the right button and the deed is done.  ;)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 11:40:42 PM »

I see FTTC is by BDUK. Where is cab 4 located, do you know?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 02:52:16 AM »

That downstream sync rate then is miles below the 49 Mbps hand-back threshold listed so the ISP really has to fix it. So give the ISP some stick - pointing out that you are aware of this.

If you should find that you are getting any trouble with the ISP and it’s all becoming a hassle, then remember that there are good ISPs out there, including aa.net.uk, who will fix your line or your money back. Don’t expect it will come to that.

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 09:52:43 AM »

I see FTTC is by BDUK. Where is cab 4 located, do you know?

Yep i know where cab4 is, do you need to know? (if you were looking at a map it is where Saddington Road meets Western Avenue on the corner)
what is BDUK?

That downstream sync rate then is miles below the 49 Mbps hand-back threshold listed so the ISP really has to fix it. So give the ISP some stick - pointing out that you are aware of this.

If you should find that you are getting any trouble with the ISP and it’s all becoming a hassle, then remember that there are good ISPs out there, including aa.net.uk, who will fix your line or your money back. Don’t expect it will come to that.

thanks, i am aware of other providers just this one is costing me nothing so would like to give it a good chance to get up to speed!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 10:08:40 AM by spaace »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 10:53:29 AM »

Thanks, I had been looking, based om what CodeLook suggested, but that is not always accurate, and Google Streetview for your village is not that recent.

I had no ulterior motive. For BDUK see here.

Your cab seems very well provided with 80Mb/sec connections, and the locality with FTTP too.

Hope you get it sorted soon. :fingers: :)

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 11:58:39 AM »

Thanks, I had been looking, based om what CodeLook suggested, but that is not always accurate, and Google Streetview for your village is not that recent.

I had no ulterior motive. For BDUK see here.

Your cab seems very well provided with 80Mb/sec connections, and the locality with FTTP too.

Hope you get it sorted soon. :fingers: :)

thanks for taking the time to look.

presumably with FTTP available at the cab, if i ever wanted that i would need to pay for the installation from cab to house? Fortunately OR engineer said as i needed the digging/ducting work done for this second line install, if/when fibre ever came down my road i could just have it chucked up the duct immediately

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 01:19:07 PM »

No doubt others will advise how FTTP is deployed, and why BT elects to install it in chosen locations.

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 03:50:33 PM »

assume the DLM reset just happened, line went down, resynced at 22mb with interleaving on (from past experience interleaving is applied on a reset - it usually turns off around 6am the following day)

informed ISP, hopefully they will send somebody out as it looks like you were right and there is a fault somewhere :(

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 09:13:31 PM »

presumably with FTTP available at the cab, if i ever wanted that i would need to pay for the installation from cab to house? Fortunately OR engineer said as i needed the digging/ducting work done for this second line install, if/when fibre ever came down my road i could just have it chucked up the duct immediately

FTTP on Demand isn't supplied from cabs - it comes from the nearest fibre aggregation node (they each serve 3-5 FTTC cabinets). However, the fact that you've got ducting in place should help reduce the costs if you wanted to pay for FTTP.

assume the DLM reset just happened, line went down, resynced at 22mb with interleaving on (from past experience interleaving is applied on a reset - it usually turns off around 6am the following day)

informed ISP, hopefully they will send somebody out as it looks like you were right and there is a fault somewhere

Yes, I didn't think it would help. Who is the ISP out of interest?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 10:44:44 PM »

FTTP would be wonderful. The costs might be terrifying and the annoying thing, in some cases, is that by waiting one would be able to get it free, but wait how long?

It might be interesting to at least ask about the cost.

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2019, 09:37:02 AM »

FTTP on Demand isn't supplied from cabs - it comes from the nearest fibre aggregation node (they each serve 3-5 FTTC cabinets). However, the fact that you've got ducting in place should help reduce the costs if you wanted to pay for FTTP.

Yes, I didn't think it would help. Who is the ISP out of interest?

thanks!

ISP is a company called Voicehost, we use them for VOIP solutions/leased lines/FTTC on some other sites, typically this is the first one i have had problems with (guess it is better to have problems at my own home than at a clients workplace)

Could you point me in the direction of what you read to see there is a fault? guessing something to do with the SNR margin the draytek displays? this morning i plugged the router into my sky line, just to see the difference. it is attached below.

FTTP would be wonderful. The costs might be terrifying and the annoying thing, in some cases, is that by waiting one would be able to get it free, but wait how long?

It might be interesting to at least ask about the cost.

i was reading into it and i work/run my business from home so may get some sort of voucher towards it from the government. I live in a remote village though so i can't imagine much infrastructure being in place so it being very costly (also unlikely to come here for free within many years).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:41:02 AM by spaace »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2019, 05:42:17 PM »

Exactly the same here then but zero FTTP. I fear there could be some sort of a catch with government vouchers, there usually is something restrictive with govt handouts to make them an unpleasant or infeasible option so that few will be able to go for it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3