Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Line stuck at 26mb  (Read 6113 times)

spaace

• Reg Member
Line stuck at 26mb
« on: March 05, 2019, 03:49:19 PM »

Hi, sorry for the stupid questions but i seem to have been stuck at around 25mbps on a second line i have had installed at my house.

the other line via sky syncs around 65mb. this one is on an entirely different wire (they had to install a new socket in the house and dig my drive up and connect this line where it comes from the pavement as my backup pair in the main line was faulty). there was a week or so delay in them putting the line in/doing the exchange work and actually digging and physically connecting the line - if that would have an impact?

is anyone able to advise from the stats attached what my line should theoretically be capable of? and is it in any close danger to having interleaving applied? pings times are more important to me that max speed (although both would be nice!)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Line stuck at 26mb
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 03:54:09 PM »

Can you go to https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and share the results of what it says for your second line?

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 03:56:35 PM »

sure, thanks for the reply. info below

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 04:07:32 PM »

Assuming your modem is plugged into the master socket and there is no extension wiring, I would say your new line has a fault or was installed incorrectly.

It would be worth putting a telephone on it to see if you can hear any noise - if so raise a voice fault. If not, contact your ISP as the line is performing well under expectations (the hardback threshold).

Of course, the lower the sync speed, the less chance of interleaving.. but it's really performing badly.

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 04:19:53 PM »

thanks. yes it is in the master socket (Master Socket 5C) with a filter attached. i have plugged a phone in and called 17070 option 2 (quiet line test) and hear nothing. i should have mentioned the line was provisioned to 40/10 speed rather than 80/20 - if that makes a difference at all?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 08:56:57 PM »

According to the DSLChecker your line should be getting the full 40/10 quite easily which means I think getting interleaving at those speeds is unlikely.

You might want to unclip the cover of the 5C and try the test socket just to confirm its not a faulty filter but I would speak to your ISP to raise a slow speed fault.

If you are with BT Retail, I would suggest asking for a "Boost" visit - I am not sure other ISPs actively offer this - but I suspect you need an engineer to come out and inspect the install.

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 09:03:41 AM »

According to the DSLChecker your line should be getting the full 40/10 quite easily which means I think getting interleaving at those speeds is unlikely.

You might want to unclip the cover of the 5C and try the test socket just to confirm its not a faulty filter but I would speak to your ISP to raise a slow speed fault.

If you are with BT Retail, I would suggest asking for a "Boost" visit - I am not sure other ISPs actively offer this - but I suspect you need an engineer to come out and inspect the install.

thanks, have sent the stats/bt links to my ISP. Will see what they come back with. i have tried a different filter on the rj11 cable, no difference. I took the cover of the 5C - couldnt see any rj11 type port in there, just the port where the faceplate plugs in which doesnt look to be either a phone socket or rj11! thanks

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 09:56:05 AM »

The bottom of page 2 at https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instructions_CP.pdf shows the test socket which you can plug the modem lead directly into.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 10:11:44 AM »

Hi

There are 2 different types of rj11, square and flat

I think he has the square so would need to either use filter or change dsl cable to flat plug type

Many thanks

John

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 10:33:09 AM »

I have hesitated to intrude with what may seem stupidity. My town has a mixture of ages of its housing stock, most prior to the early seventies, when ali seemed to be used. Most of my estate is pre-70s, but my house is part of the estate built in the ali reign, so materials are probably different.

Can OP be confident that both lines are of like construction and follow same route from the same DSLAM?

I'm not sure that the checker covers oddities or differences arising from being on ECI or Huawai equipment either.

In short is OP victim of weird chance?

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 11:36:58 AM »

I have hesitated to intrude with what may seem stupidity. My town has a mixture of ages of its housing stock, most prior to the early seventies, when ali seemed to be used. Most of my estate is pre-70s, but my house is part of the estate built in the ali reign, so materials are probably different.

Can OP be confident that both lines are of like construction and follow same route from the same DSLAM?

I'm not sure that the checker covers oddities or differences arising from being on ECI or Huawai equipment either.

In short is OP victim of weird chance?

I am 99% certain they follow the same route to the same DSLAM. They are underground not via a pole. The new connection was put in new ducting from house>pavement (as my second pair was faulty) but connected to the "main" pipe that runs under the pavement, same as my main/sky connection as i had a look when he was connecting them up.. I live in a Cul De Sac so the "mains" comes up one side of it, loops round at the end and comes back down the other, basically following the pavement - if that makes sense? find it hard to believe there is any other possible route to the DSLAM (which is about 200 paces away, following the pavement to it which i assume is the way the cables run). luckily if there is a fault, when they dug up the pavement they put it in a chamber with a man hole cover, rather than just filling it back in and tar maccing the pavement like it was before. PS i live in a small ish village rather than a town, so i think the routes are all pretty basic, we have 5 (Huawei) cabinets in the village.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 11:41:34 AM by spaace »

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 01:04:44 PM »

reply from my isp

I have had a response regarding your sync speed issues on the new line. This has been submitted for a DLM reset as it is below expected levels. Please allow 24 - 48 hours and then retest. I should know more within this period so will inform you when I am updated also.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 01:08:41 PM »

Funny things can happen though. one side of my cul-de-sac, quite by chance gets 10 Mb/sec more than my side, because even though the route from the cabinent is the same over 90% or more of its path is identical, the last 10% is not.

I understand your redacting your phone number, but it would have been interesting to know the exchange. :)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 01:15:04 PM »

reply from my isp

I have had a response regarding your sync speed issues on the new line. This has been submitted for a DLM reset as it is below expected levels. Please allow 24 - 48 hours and then retest. I should know more within this period so will inform you when I am updated also.

It will be interesting to see what happens - though your line stats don't show it as having spare SNR - so not sure a DLM reset will help at this stage

spaace

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 01:35:43 PM »

Funny things can happen though. one side of my cul-de-sac, quite by chance gets 10 Mb/sec more than my side, because even though the route from the cabinent is the same over 90% or more of its path is identical, the last 10% is not.

I understand your redacting your phone number, but it would have been interesting to know the exchange. :)

CLI is 01162xxxxxxx :)

there are numerous cul-de-sacs here, i beleive it loops down, around and back up, up to the next etc all the way. Luckily i am on the cabinet side of second cul-de-sac so could be worse

[Moderator edited to redact the subscriber part of the telephone number.]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:37:04 PM by burakkucat »
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything