Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Weird FTTC sync speeds - 14.99 up / 34.99 down  (Read 1410 times)

Bobsta

Weird FTTC sync speeds - 14.99 up / 34.99 down
« on: March 04, 2019, 07:46:50 PM »

Hi folks,

A month ago I was at my parents' place and noticed some instability in their Internet connection. I took a look at their HH5 and noticed that it was syncing essentially at 15 Mbps up and 35 Mbps down. However, the max down speed quoted by the HH5 was actually lower than the achieved sync rate.

I also noticed some fairly frequent disconnects/retrains in their logs ... so I went on the hunt for poor extension wiring in their house (some of it actually put in by me ~28 years ago as a teenager! ;) ). I found that they were running a very old ADSL filter on one of their extension sockets and swapping it out yielded a big boost (6 Mbps or so) in max sync speed.

I then had to run ... and they've reported since that the line seems more stable. However, given their proximity to their cabinet (I'd estimate their line length can't be more than 300m - and could be as low as 150m) I would expect them to achieve a higher sync speed so will be going back to have a more thorough troubleshooting session soon.

But one thing that puzzles me is the sync speed they're getting on the line. They're with BT on Infinity 1 (or whatever it's called lately) so I would expect the max achievable to be 10 / 52 ... however, their line is stuck on 14.99 / 34.99 and won't budge. It was a month ago (3 Feb) that I swapped out the filter and it hasn't moved since.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bobsta

[attachment deleted by admin]

vultura

• Reg Member
  • ECI Cabinet Afflicted
Re: Weird FTTC sync speeds - 14.99 up / 34.99 down
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 07:57:07 PM »

I am probably wrong, but I would think the line issues have caused DLM to step in and it has banded the line.

No doubt someone more experienced than I will be able to confirm that.

Has anyone seen my signature, it seems to have disappeared, along with Openreach turning on G.INP on ECI cabinets ever again.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 09:33:41 PM »

Can you connect the Home Hub to the master socket or test socket -  disconnecting all the extension wiring - and see what the max achievable sync then shows?

According to the DSLchecker, your line is currently below the minimum threshold and this will confirm if it's your internal wiring at fault.

As Vultura says, it's almost certain that DLM has banded the line to ensure a stable connection - this can be fixed easily, but resolve all the wiring issues first
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 09:44:20 PM by gt94sss2 »

Bobsta

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 08:22:05 PM »

So... 10 days ago I visited my folks and:
 - swapped out their old HH5 for a spare HH6a I had lying around
 - cleaned up some of the slightly dubious extension wiring in the house

The result was that the HH now consistently reported a maximum data rate of 22949 / 68715 - much more inline with what I would expect their line to support.

I've just logged in remotely and checked the logs. The connection has remained stable for 10 days. The problem is that the connection won't budge from its current "15.00 Mbps / 32.40 Mbps" (as reported by HH6a).

My assumption as that for the best part of 2-3 years (since they upgraded to FTTC) DLM has noted the crappy wiring and so locked their sync rate down to this. My question is what, if anything, can I do to get a DLM reset? I know if they were with Plusnet I'd just head to the forums, make a polite request and one of their helpful staff would kick it off. With BT, what options do I have? I really don't want to ask my elderly folks to get on the phone to BT and talk technical.

Thanks,

Bobsta

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 09:52:47 PM »

My assumption as that for the best part of 2-3 years (since they upgraded to FTTC) DLM has noted the crappy wiring and so locked their sync rate down to this. My question is what, if anything, can I do to get a DLM reset? I know if they were with Plusnet I'd just head to the forums, make a polite request and one of their helpful staff would kick it off. With BT, what options do I have?

I'm glad you've sorted out the underlying wiring issues.

The process I would recommend for BT is actually similar to what you describe for Plusnet.

I would go to the BT forum - explain the situation - asking one of the forum helpers to flag your post for the attention of a moderator (the only BT staff officially on the forum) as you need a DLM reset.

One of the moderators will then reply, inviting you to submit your details via a special link and they will process the request. It will take them a few days but I have found their moderators to be very good - its a special team based out of NI and they will own your case until its resolved.

Bobsta

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 10:36:35 PM »

Thanks gt94sss2. Appreciate the guidance. I’ve posted on the BT forum.

anything