Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 10 blue screen?  (Read 5314 times)

bob.gas

• Reg Member
Windows 10 blue screen?
« on: March 04, 2019, 01:39:53 PM »

Hi guys.
I'm very new to win10, and just trying to get my head around it   ::)

Just recently the PC keeps crashing.
I get the proverbial blue screen with a messags saying something like this....
Your computer has run into a problem, we are looking into it and needs to restart (sorry cant remember verbatim)
It's fine for a while, but will do it again.
So far it's done it about 6 times in the last few days.
I tried googling, but couldn't get my head around it.
would be great if one of you eggheads could advise a simpleton like me please?  :'(

Nearly forgot to mention that all I've been doing is browsing etc
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 01:48:36 PM by bob.gas »
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

parkdale

• Reg Member
Re: Windows 10 blue screen?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 08:43:30 PM »

I use this to trace which drivers / programs are the trouble makers
https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed
Recently I had an issue with nvidia drivers trying to share irq's, this helped me to identify the correct problem and find a fix.

Hope this helps :fingers:

Robin

*v6.60 Free for home use*
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 08:50:14 PM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 08:08:55 AM »

Thank you for that Robin.
how do I download this please?
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'#039#039re a mile away and you have their shoes

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 10:44:24 AM »

The download page seems to be here: https://www.resplendence.com/downloads
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »

Hi .. if you go to this link https://www.resplendence.com/downloads then click on who crashed v 6.50 free home edition.
I noticed that although it says v6.50 when installed comes up as v6.60, also with the program theirs a link to install latest version.
Once you've installed it, click on "Analyse" and this should generate a report to who should be the culprit ranging from most likely to least likely and any actions you may need to take.
You can cut and paste them here if you need to.

Robin

Crossed posts ;D  and tidying up grammer :-[
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:05:03 AM by parkdale »

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 10:47:17 AM »

Thank you all.
i downloaded the free addition and then "Analyzed"
The report came back with NO problems with drivers etc.
But it did say I could buy the professional one that may go deeper into it.
TBO I get quite miffed with software that advertises FREE but in reality one has to purchase it.

did you purchase it Parkdale?

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 11:33:20 AM »

I am surprised that nothing turned up ??? , the free version is all I use. Have you checked the windows logs?
Right click Windows start button, Then go to 'Event viewer' then expand 'Windows logs' then click on 'System' check all 'Red Error' messages.
I normally delete all logs when trouble shooting to narrow down the problem. Right click on log then select 'Clear logs',

Also when it blue screens can you make a note of the error number goes some thing like 0x7276532765 and any other info displayed.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 11:35:33 AM by parkdale »

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 02:33:56 PM »

Thank you again Parkdale.
Have followed your instructions.
so I guess it's a wait and see if Th BSoD happens again eh?

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 02:54:33 PM »

Just to be sure :fingers: did the program confirm crash dump had been enabled?

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/configure-windows-create-dump-files-blue-screen

bob.gas

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 04:28:09 PM »

I'm not sure,.
Unfortunately, although I've had a PC for a number of years, I haven't really come across these sort of problems, so I'm a complete computer dummy.
I do appreciate your patience with me though.

I'll have another go at your suggestions and try to make a note of what comes up.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 02:15:07 AM »

Can you get hold of a good ram-test program, to check for hardware bugs?

Disable any antivirus for a start and try like that to see if that fixes the thing. Don’t use any antivirus software or software like that unless it’s written by Microsoft themselves as it will just wreck your machine. There used to be a Microsoft program called Windows Defender, which came with Win7 for free, and there might be a similar thing available now. That was a safe choice, didn’t cause any problems.

Scan your machine with a stand-alone _non-resident_ virus scanner.

If you want to make any experimental changes to the system in order to try and simplify things and get rid of anything that might be evil or guilty, it’s a good idea to make a System Restore point first and make sure that you give the restore point a meaningful description so you can see it clearly in the history list explaining what its purpose was and what you were about to do afterwards. I often used to create several rather than just one. The subsequent ones would be zero-sized or tiny as they were trivial since nothing or only a small amount of change had happened. One called something like ‘system all known good’ or in this case ‘system sickly xxxx’ or whatever problem there was. Then a second one would be called ‘pre yyy-change’ and then after that a ‘post yyy-change’ one, so you can see what you were doing listed and that the resulting states were related to the effects of some named change.

Get rid of any software that you don’t need, especially bloatware.

One trick that I have used in connection with dubious software that may be unnecessary and undesirable but which you are not certain about is to simply rename a dubious file such as some .exe or .dll rather than deleting it so fo example rename bolox.exe to bolox.exe.disabled. It might be though that windows automatically restores the file in some cases so plan B is to set the ACLs/permissions on the file to disallow read or execute or write. You might need to look this up or ask for help with this, I would use the cacls command to set permissions, because I’m old-fashioned. Setting the permissions appropriately prevents anything from running the executable or dll. Renaming it out of the way obviously prevents anything from starting the exe or dll file because it won’t be found. And you can just easily undo these changes so it’s safer than deleting the file.

[Moderator edited to fix a typo with the [tt][/tt] tags.]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 05:36:24 PM by burakkucat »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 02:10:01 PM »

I've used this utility in the past: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

If you download it (links are near the bottom of the page) and run it, it'll search all the dump logs that windows creates. If it doesn't show any logs then you need to setup windows to create dump logs and you'll have to wait until another blue screen for it to generate a log to read.

I've used it twice in the past.

If you can remember any program you've updated, driver, anti-virus or windows update that happened then it could be that. Whatever changed probably happened 1 or 2 days before the first blue screen happened.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 10:49:32 PM »

That’s a useful tip.

If you did change something before it started then we have a clue.

But if you definitely didn’t change anything and the problem just started up seemingly for no reason, then it’s either a security breach - an attack or malicious software - or else it’s the start of a hardware fault now becoming apparent because of age or temperature I would think. Ram test is a must.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 10:42:08 AM »

Windows 10 has a ram test on the main startup menu 'memtest86' when you turn on the computer keep pressing F8 to get the menu then select memory test.
As your system is 'a few years old' I would release the memory sticks from their holders and re-seat them a few times, you do not have to clean the contacts as they will be gold plated and therefore resistant to any corrosion.
Dust and chemicals from the air tend to get into the computer and with heat expansion and contraction get between the contact fingers.
you can use a Air duster can carefully down the memory holders if very dusty.

anything