Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Lightning apps for iOS (again)  (Read 4156 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Lightning apps for iOS (again)
« on: March 04, 2019, 11:42:17 PM »

I used to use the blitzortunglive app for ios but recently I haven’t been getting any lightning strike notifications when it’s absolutely clear that I should be. So i’ve given up using it and this is now de-recommended (if such a word exists).

Their parent organisation’s lightningmaps.org website is excellent and on that site I could see live strike events close by, so I knew that I should have been getting notifications, as judged even by comparison with another of their own systems. Also my hardware lightning detector was going crackers flashing all its warning lights.

Recommended replacement app is ‘Lightning Pro’ for iOS, whose notifications really work well.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Lightning apps for iOS (again)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 05:03:06 PM »

The Lightning Pro app really works. I got relevant notifications from it when there was lightning out at sea over the Small Isles and on the Cuilfhionn mountain range and on another similar occasion too. It has a relevant circle reporting function in which you choose the radius of a circle, centred on your position, in which detected events will be reported to you. This is the same system as used generally in such apps.

The lightningmaps.org website seems to really work well and I used this plus my ears and an unreliable canine LF sonic detection system called Ciarán, my old greyhound. Ciarán shakes like a leaf when he hears thunder but sometimes he may not hear very distant events if downstairs isolated by the four- to six-foot thick stone walls of the house, also he has on occasion shook because of the noise of high winds but this is perhaps only after a recent scare. He was shaking one night when lightningmaps.org reported strikes just a short distance north west of the Cuilfhionn range. We couldn’t hear anything, and would not expect to given the distance to the reported strikes’ position, which was fifteen miles. So it could be that sometimes he is super-sensitive to L.F. though.

anything