Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Port forwarding issue  (Read 1182 times)

Creaky

Port forwarding issue
« on: March 03, 2019, 10:52:19 AM »

I’m using a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A and having an issue with port forwarding.

I have created a No-IP.com account and setup a host name, this is also configured in the router. I have setup 2 forwards on the router, one goes to port 3000 and the other to 8006.

If I use the host name from noip and either of the ports all works fine, if I use just the host name it shows the router login page. How can I stop this or autoforward to somewhere else?

I have checked that port 80 is switched off for WAN remote management but is still on for LAN management. Does this port need to be changed to something else?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Port forwarding issue
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 11:32:03 AM »

My Netgear does exactly the same. I guess one answer is to forward port 80 to an IP which is unknown on your lan and direct it to an unused port as well just in case someone actually connects to the lan with that IP. Currently at least assuming you have changed your password for router login from the default no one but you could access it.

I always use the port number required on the no-ip url.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 11:43:31 AM »

Actually forget what I said!!! I was forgetting you are doing this (I presume) from your own lan and this is a quirk of routers which allow this when accessed from your own lan. If you try it from say a mobile phone on the 4g network (not using wifi) which is truly external to your lan it will not show the router login. Try it to prove it. The only things which should work from anywhere external to your lan are the port numbers you specify.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Creaky

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 10:07:16 PM »

I have tested while at work and don’t get the router login page, it goes to another device on my lan it shouldn’t do.

Using either of the ports work as expected, if I don’t specify a port it goes to my nas that uses port 8080. Still trying to work out why as this port isn’t forwarded on the router.

anything