Announcements > Site & Forum Discussion

"Infected PC" Video in WMV Format

(1/2) > >>

Weaver:
Re the video at https://kitz.co.uk/tech/images/infectedcomputer.wmv

My stupid iPad doesn’t understand WMV files. I don’t know what MIME type that file has on the server, but for all I know iOS machines and poss some other Apple boxes just don’t speak WMV anyway.

I managed to watch it by converting it to MP4.

Is there a way of having multiple automatic alternative formats available, so the web browser just does the right thing? Or if not, could there be a couple of different files side by side ?

roseway:
VLC can view WMV files, and it's available for iOS.

Weaver:
I just used a website that does format conversions.

I was asking about getting a web browser such as iOS Safari to just play the video seamlessly.

kitz:
I think you may have similar problems on any Apple device. 
According to this

--- Quote ---A very common problem Mac users have is playing Windows Media Video (WMV) files. When your Mac attempts to open and play WMV files by default in QuickTime, you’ll commonly receive an error message along the lines of ‘This is not a movie file’.

The reason behind this it the fact that WMV files use Microsoft proprietary codecs that don’t work in OS X. This gets really annoying if you come across a WMV file and want to watch it on your Mac.

Microsoft discontinued Windows Media Player for Mac way back in 2006, meaning there’s no longer a tailor-made player for the WMV format for OS X.

--- End quote ---

Probably the best solution is as Eric said, is to download it and view in VLC.

The video is years old now, but it's still quite interesting to watch in that it shows just how quickly a computer can become infected if you put a Windows machine on the internet without any form of AV protection.

Bowdon:
I've noticed that the .wmv format seems to have gone out of fashion these days.

I remember when it was being pushed as a gold standard at one time, but these days less and less machines or physical media players seem to support the format. A similar thing happened with the .divx format too

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version