Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: "Infected PC" Video in WMV Format  (Read 4724 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
"Infected PC" Video in WMV Format
« on: March 02, 2019, 10:46:42 AM »

Re the video at https://kitz.co.uk/tech/images/infectedcomputer.wmv

My stupid iPad doesn’t understand WMV files. I don’t know what MIME type that file has on the server, but for all I know iOS machines and poss some other Apple boxes just don’t speak WMV anyway.

I managed to watch it by converting it to MP4.

Is there a way of having multiple automatic alternative formats available, so the web browser just does the right thing? Or if not, could there be a couple of different files side by side ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: "Infected PC" Video in WMV Format
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 11:00:30 AM »

VLC can view WMV files, and it's available for iOS.
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 11:21:56 AM »

I just used a website that does format conversions.

I was asking about getting a web browser such as iOS Safari to just play the video seamlessly.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 01:23:17 PM »

I think you may have similar problems on any Apple device. 
According to this

A very common problem Mac users have is playing Windows Media Video (WMV) files. When your Mac attempts to open and play WMV files by default in QuickTime, you’ll commonly receive an error message along the lines of ‘This is not a movie file’.

The reason behind this it the fact that WMV files use Microsoft proprietary codecs that don’t work in OS X. This gets really annoying if you come across a WMV file and want to watch it on your Mac.

Microsoft discontinued Windows Media Player for Mac way back in 2006, meaning there’s no longer a tailor-made player for the WMV format for OS X.

Probably the best solution is as Eric said, is to download it and view in VLC.

The video is years old now, but it's still quite interesting to watch in that it shows just how quickly a computer can become infected if you put a Windows machine on the internet without any form of AV protection.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 01:46:34 PM »

I've noticed that the .wmv format seems to have gone out of fashion these days.

I remember when it was being pushed as a gold standard at one time, but these days less and less machines or physical media players seem to support the format. A similar thing happened with the .divx format too
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 02:41:57 PM »

Would it be a pain to replace it with a transcoded version in some other format instead, if one exists that is more universal now? (Is there such a thing now?)

Say no if too much pain. It’s just a suggestion to allow greater ease of use for some site visitors, that’s all.

It is of course Apple who has created a problem, by inadequate support. They should have just rung up Microsoft, their friends, and then should have got the relevant source code and ported it.

I had no problem playing it, I just converted it to mp4. So problem solved here.

Thinking not about me, myself, having to research apps and download and install apps on each of your iOS devices just to be able to follow one link (to start with) on a website, we all get the picture.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 08:42:00 PM »

Files hosted on websites are typically encoded in browser compatible formats such as webm and mp4.

In modern browsers you can then embed them into the page using code such as:
Code: [Select]
  <video controls poster='/videos/hope_floats-1.png'>
   <source src='/videos/hope_floats-1.webm' type='video/webm'>
   <source src='/videos/hope_floats-1.mp4' type='video/mp4'>
  </video>

Can't seem to find the latest version I was using to convert files, but its something like this:

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
for file in `ls *.mkv`;
do
  name=${file%.*}
  name=${name##*/}

# H264 (x264/AAC)
  ffmpeg -i $file -y -movflags faststart -c:v libx264 -crf 22 -threads 6 -c:a libfdk_aac -b:a 128k -ac 2 $name.mp4
  ffmpeg -i $file -y -movflags faststart -c:v libx264 -crf 22 -threads 6 -c:a aac -b:a 128k -ac 2 $name.mp4

# WebM VOD (VP9 / Vorbis) Fast
  ffmpeg -i $file -y -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 1 -b:v 0 -quality good -crf 31 -threads 12 -speed 4 -tile-columns 6 -frame-parallel 1 -an -f webm /dev/null
  ffmpeg -i $file -y -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 2 -b:v 0 -quality good -crf 31 -threads 12 -speed 1 -tile-columns 6 -frame-parallel 1 -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 25 -c:a libvorbis -ac 2 -f webm $name.webm

# WebM VOD (VP9 / Vorbis)
  #ffmpeg -i $file -y -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 1 -b:v 2000K -threads 8 -speed 4 -tile-columns 6 -frame-parallel 1 -an -f webm /dev/null
  #ffmpeg -i $file -y -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 2 -b:v 2000K -threads 8 -speed 1 -tile-columns 6 -frame-parallel 1 -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 25 -c:a libvorbis -ac 2 -f webm $name.webm

# webm Best Quality (VP9 / Vorbis)
  #ffmpeg -i $file -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 1 -b:v 1000K -threads 1 -speed 4 -tile-columns 0 -frame-parallel 0 -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 25 -g 9999 -aq-mode 0 -an -f webm /dev/null
  #ffmpeg -i $file -c:v libvpx-vp9 -pass 2 -b:v 1000K -threads 1 -speed 0 -tile-columns 0 -frame-parallel 0 -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 25 -g 9999 -aq-mode 0 -c:a libvorbis -ac 2 -f webm $name.webm

# screenshot
  ffmpeg -i $file -ss 10 -vframes 1 -r 1 -f $name.jpg
done
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:51:40 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 09:30:05 PM »

Hi

I am not sure if kitz has ffmpeg installed inc php ffmpeg. 

However, you are correct, as most would have ffmpeg on shared platforms but not all and same with vps

Many thanks

John

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 11:19:37 PM »

ffmpeg is just an example of how to transcode the file into a web-compatible format, you could just as easily use Handbrake or pretty much any software that supports the right codecs.  You would then upload the converted files to the server.

The web browser will pick the first one from the HTML list that it supports.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 07:56:40 AM »

The video is years old now, but it's still quite interesting to watch in that it shows just how quickly a computer can become infected if you put a Windows machine on the internet without any form of AV protection.

Perhaps that should say Windows XP machine,  I would think W10 would fair a lot better with its built in firewall and AV.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

anything