Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ISP Zen Internet Slashes UK ADSL and FTTC Broadband Prices  (Read 3189 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: ISP Zen Internet Slashes UK ADSL and FTTC Broadband Prices
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 02:00:31 AM »

I am not a fan off "up to" been used for access speeds, in my view it should only be used for throughput purposes to indicate speeds may slow down due to congestion.

I mean I dont know what was ever good e.g. thinking you brought a up to 24mbit/sec service that ran at 5mbit/sec on a good day, in this situation you can never hit the 24mbit/sec its impossible if the line isnt capable and as such the up to is massively misleading.  The use of estimated speeds partially corrects it.

However I believe we talking about this new trend of using average speed across customer base to indicate the product spec, this I think is stupid when done on a national level, as it takes no account of local variables, and hides the underlying package spec.  This I think is what you guys are complaining about?  However for me the fix isnt going back to a generic "up to" package, but rather the average should apply to your postcode so the package essentially be matching what people at your postcode actually get.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 06:20:58 AM »

But the problem is that until you enter your information the websites advertising the products don't know where you are so can't give an accurate speed. Using a postcode is also useless, they can cover huge area's and even in small areas speeds can vary greatly - different cabinet, line route etc.

Given the above I can see what they were trying to do with average speeds, but I don't think there is an easy answer as they are selling products that can vary greatly due to what's on the ground, or aren't even available at a lot of locations.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 08:59:05 AM »

I wonder if part of the problem is that widespread use of “up to” seems to have been redefined to mean “approximately”?

For example BBC news, when reporting on a storm, will often say something like “up to 3,000 homes are believed to be without electricity”.   I’m sure they don’t really mean “up to 3,000” as that would include “no homes at all”.  They probably mean “about”, so why say “up to”?

Whatever the reason, people seem to have come to misunderstand these words “up to”.    And that is a shame as they are perfectly good, nice short, and very meaningful words, if taken literally.      I still think the answer lies in education, as to what the words “up to” actually mean.   

If we are going to ban innapropriate use of “up to” then I’d prefer to ban the likes of BBC reporting, that I hear every day, rather than ban the genuinely useful data conveyed by ISP package descriptions.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 11:33:03 AM »

Indeed, my idea certainly is not perfect and I dont know what would be perfect.

One rule could be to ban the use of speed in product spec unless your technology allows guaranteed access speeds such as FTTP and cable or fixed speed DSL.  This also could encourage faster rollout of FTTP from the likes of openreach.  Instead they would have to use generic terms such as copper broadband, hybrid broadband or fibre broadband.

I would also ban fibre broadband from been used on g.fast, cable and fttc products, those are hybrid broadband.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything