Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cooling off period  (Read 1236 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Cooling off period
« on: February 28, 2019, 04:20:03 PM »

when you sign up to an ISP does the cooling off period start when the connection goes live? or... when the agreement is made?

just my dads signed up to Plusnet and been told his 14-day CO period starts now BUT his connection does not go live for 29 days...so how can he see if he's happy or not?

at Sky the cooling off period doesn't start until the activation date
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Cooling off period
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 06:47:44 PM »

Legally, its 14 days from when a service is ordered not when it's live.

If your father is unhappy once the service goes live, he could exit his contract under Ofcom new Code of Practice

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/02/new-ofcom-code-of-practice-for-uk-broadband-isp-speeds-starts-today.html

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 06:52:51 PM »

very strange

I work for Sky in the Broadband Tech Team and we were trained to inform customers that the cooling off period doesnt start until the service goes live, makes sense too otherwise how you going to know if your happy with the service or not?
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 12:46:46 AM »

Cooling off period is slightly different for services than it is for goods.

Since broadband is a service, then the following will apply

Cancelling services

Your right to cancel  You have 14 days from entering into a service contract in which you can cancel it.

The trader shouldn’t start providing the service before the 14 day cancellation period has ended, unless you have requested this.

If you request a service starts straightaway  In this instance you will still have the right to cancel, but you must pay for the value of the service that is provided up to the point you cancel.

For example, if you buy a service like gym membership and start using the gym and then change your mind within this 14 day time period, you will be refunded but could be charged for the amount of gym time you used.

If the service is provided in full within 14 days  The right to cancel can be lost during the cancellation period if the service is provided in full before the 14 days elapses. 

I can see both sides of the coin:
- The consumer wants to know that their service is satisfactory
- The service provider has charges that it will have to pay - ie Openreach, modem costs, service during the trial period. 

Openreach/BTw charges will apply because an engineer has had to do one or more of the following:  Rewire MDF/ rewire MDF tie pairs / rewire tie pairs at cab / Change realm / Set up realm.

When the law was brought into effect there were more ISPs than there are now and I suppose if you were unscrupulous enough, you could rack up several months free broadband at a particular premise...  (which could be handy if you are living in temporary accommodation) and leaving the service providers out of pocket :(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything