Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My Credit Card Hacked.  (Read 1346 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
My Credit Card Hacked.
« on: March 01, 2019, 02:10:44 PM »

So how did someone gain access to my credit card details and put £500 plus on five items from two lots of car insurance, water cooler  :o, Easy jet flight. and some food ?.
Card Locked. >:(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: My Credit Card Hacked.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 03:40:54 PM »

I’d have thought these things were traceable, if police could be persuaded to investigate?

Unfortunately (may be wrong) I don’t think police do (or maybe even can) investigate card fraud any more, unless requested by the bank.   And as for the banks, they often seem to take the view it’s less bother for them to just refund the loss to the customer, making it up out of other income. :(

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 03:51:37 PM »

Many years ago my brother had a visit from CID, his (along with others)  credit card details and address had been found in a notebook found after a raid.

Turns out they came from a deposit he'd put on car months earlier at a car supermarket.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 04:13:24 PM »

Four of those item must have the persons details on so I hope Barclaycard trace them put them in jail and loose the key  >:D
These were new cards and only been used a few times.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 10:24:00 PM »

Have you used the card online or offline?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 07:14:36 PM »

I had my credit card used a few years ago.  Absolutely no idea how they got the details as the card was quite new.  The only purchase that I had made on it that wasn't for usual places (ie Amazon & online ASDA) was a Morrison petrol station when on a day trip.   

The first I knew about it was my card issuer phoning me to ask if I'd just spent some money (~£50) in a Spar Shop somewhere down in the SE and booked a 4 night hotel stay in a small hotel in the same town.

It still strikes me as being rather strange for two reasons.   1) I wouldn't have thought the transactions were particularly unusual enough to trigger an alert.   2) Why book a hotel for 4 nights because the card company cancelled my card before the culprits would have been able to enjoy their break.

Same as with Mikes card... car insurance and easy jet flight seem rather stupid purchases.    :-\
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 09:47:38 PM »

I suppose one possibility might be that hotel bookings, as well as car insurance and flights, are often made through brokers who get paid a commission.

If the brokers manage to put themselves out of reach, in some lawless off shore community, maybe they get to keep the commission even if the insurance/hotel/flights fail to materialise?

I’ve never been noted for my skills as a criminal mastermind, so may be talking nonsense.   :D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 02:34:46 PM »

I read that hackers can intercept 2 factor authentication codes in the weekend Telegraph pages, but unfortunately any link is paid for. It was also reported on https://tamebay.com/2019/02/metro-bank-hit-by-text-message-banking-fraud.html
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:09:39 PM by renluop »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 05:02:10 PM »

Had an incident with my Mastercard Debit card over a year ago, transaction appeared which turned out to be a Netflix prime monthly subscription, I have never at any time been a Netflix patron.

Duly advised my bank of the transaction, they immediatly blocked the old card and issued a new one advising that they would contact Netflix, also provided immediate refund.
Lo & behold, same date next month, same Netflix transaction on my new card.
Same procedure with my bank, card blocked, new card issued, refund applied.

Unbelievably, same date following month, same transaction again on the new card.
Obviously quite upset with my bank at that stage, finally got to talk to a senior person who advised that Mastercard automatically update any customer card changes to their patrons such as Netflix, hence the continuing issue with 3 separate cards on 3 consecutive months.
Was also advised that they had contacted Netflix on all 3 occasions but obviously without producing a resolution, suggested I should contact Netflix directly, advisor intimated that this was by no means a unique case.

To their credit, Netflix, once contacted directly were excellent, when I supplied the number of my current Mastercard Debit card and my name they advised that they did not tally on their system and the account was blocked immediatly, issue finally resolved, have not had any trouble since.
Obviously they would not disclose the name associated with my card number. 
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub