Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Business FTTP installation experience  (Read 2289 times)

hucknallred

Business FTTP installation experience
« on: February 28, 2019, 05:34:30 PM »

Just thought I'd share my experience with a new install we had at work.

We need a 'dirty' non corporate connection to perform various tasks. We had some legacy ADSL connections dating back over 10 years, but woeful speeds due to the exchange distance & no FTTC cabinet or any intention of one appearing.

A cursory check of the OR Fibre checker one day said our building could get FTTP & one of the suppliers was our existing supplier for ADSL, KCOM (was Eclipse).

There was a bit of a glitch on the OR database, our building appeared twice & only one of the entries said it was available.

I called Kcom to place the order, advised him of the glitch & it was no problem & was given a survey date of 2 weeks away.

2 days later I get a call from an unknown mobile, it's the OR engineer outside ready to do the survey! I show him where their gubbins enters the building & him & a mate get to it, manhole covers raised which have the nodes in already, a load of cable is pulled into the building ready for connection on the future date (yesterday).

I had a PM appointment, OR engineer calls at 09:15 to say he's on his way. Him & a mate then spend a few hours routing the fibre to the comms room, fix the box to the wall & we're almost done.

A quick call to KCOM to double check how to configure the Draytek 2862N they supplied & it was up & running at 40/10 although we ordered 160/30. The Kcom guy said there is still a training period with FTTP which the OR guys concurred with.

All in all a trouble free experience, hopefully we'll get the full 160/30 in due course - is FTTP line training actually a thing?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Business FTTP installation experience
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 05:51:36 PM »

. . . up & running at 40/10 although we ordered 160/30. The Kcom guy said there is still a training period with FTTP which the OR guys concurred with.

All in all a trouble free experience, hopefully we'll get the full 160/30 in due course - is FTTP line training actually a thing?

What utter nonsense!  ::)  There is no such thing as "line training" for a FTTP connection. The circuit has been wrongly provisioned.  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 05:55:26 PM »

There is no training on FTTP, it should run at the expected service speed immediately. Looks like they have ordered the wrong product, you need to pester KCOM to get it sorted. I find it hard to believe the Openreach guys thought that there was a training period. :o

hucknallred

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 06:05:00 PM »

Thought as much.. I'll raise a ticket with KCOM & report back. It does say 160/30 in the KCOM connection portal.
I did hear the OR guys say 40/10 from the comms room...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 06:10:33 PM by hucknallred »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 07:16:51 PM »

I find it hard to believe the Openreach guys thought that there was a training period. :o

Perhaps they are still undergoing their training  ::)
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

hucknallred

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 07:51:31 PM »

Perhaps they are still undergoing their training  ::)

One of the guys was being trained by another actually. It was only a cursory acknowledgement from him.
I've never had anything other than excellent service from KCOM/Eclipse so this will be sorted I am sure. Even wrongly provisioned it's 10x quicker than what we had at present.

hucknallred

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 10:53:41 AM »

Thought as much.. I'll raise a ticket with KCOM & report back. It does say 160/30 in the KCOM connection portal.
I did hear the OR guys say 40/10 from the comms room...
On the money..

Good afternoon

We've been advised that you were not experiencing the full speeds available to the product ordered on your FTTP service.

Checking the order, it looks like there was an order build error and it was provided on a 40/10 service.

To rectify this, I've placed a modify order against the connection to request you have the full speeds available for the 160/30 service.

This estimated to be complete by the end of day on Monday 4th March, we will review this on Tuesday to ensure this has been successful.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 05:18:34 PM »

It requires nothing more that a few key presses and/or mouse clicks by the appropriate operative. Please let us know when it has been resolved.

hucknallred

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 11:48:07 AM »

Normal service has commenced  :cool::

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 09:29:00 PM »

That look more like it!

Congratulations.  :)